Noob critique appreciated

robitussin217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With the first two I was trying to shoot based on the rule of thirds. The third photo was my first time trying to use the lens blur on photoshop. And the fourth I just took cuz I think it's neat. They're all photoshopped.
project2pp3.jpg

prettyhousenw7.jpg

dadnwespk5.jpg

G-daddy and grandson

letimlivepadl6.jpg

Let 'im dream, pa.

I learned a lesson on perspective on the third photo. My nephew on the right looks huge despite his being 3 years old.

I tried to put the leaves (1st photo) that are in focus on a separate layer than the background. And, I ended up with weird lines on the branches where it wasn't fully selected. Is the solution to not select the branches or is there something else I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

There's no pictures showing....

Very fast edit.... I guess there are and my browser timed out before downloading them or something.

Is there a problem with them showing up to anyone else? Or are these just not worth critiquing? I uploaded them with image shack. I would really appreciate it if someone would say anything at all.

hi, i can see your pics fine. even though I'm no pro, I'd be happy to say something!

first things first, put down the robitussin, man, whatever happened to people just smoking a joint? besides who ever got laid by bringin the 'tussin?

rule of thirds is a good rule, I've also learned about balance, and I think the first photo could use a little on the lower right corner. not sure what, of course, please don't take my critique too seriously as I could be wrong.

I really like the second photo, the light is great and I love the setting. Maybe a tighter crop on the left side?

Haha! Man, tussin will mess you up! Just kidding, I got that screen name when I was in middle school for some reason and just use it for everything.

And thanks man! The first one is left-heavy, you're right.

Couple other questions. Does the blur in the 3rd photo look realistic? Cuz, I really didn't know what I was doing. And, I tried to make it look like the little chimney was blowing flowers in the 4th photo. Is that too ambiguous?

not a pro by any means.. been taking pics for a year or so now... my thoughts (take em or leave em)

picture 1 seems over exposed to me... the background just seems REALLY bright...

picture 2 looks great, except for the sky (theres only a bit showing, but its to bright for my liking) perhaps using the burn tool could clean that up?

picture 3.. not a fan of the blur.. to me it honestly just looks like you didn't focus right.. it could be a really nice sentimental pic, but the blur kills that for me.

Picture 4.. just seems really blah to me.. the flowers are out of focus, the trees in the background are plain. the whole picture just looks kind of plain to me

1. I agree with chris about the background. Need to borrow his sunglasses.

2. Quality photo but that landscape is a bit crazy(irrelevant when asking about quality)...also don't really get a good feel for how big the house is(not sure why that matters but its my perspective I guess) I'm looking at it like a real estate ad for the house.(I do NOT mean that in a bad way!)

3. Agree with Chris

4. Don't really know what I'm looking at besides the flowers. What is the chimney on the left significance?

I'm not pro at all this is just my opinion. Nothing is "wrong" with these photos.

Haha! Man, tussin will mess you up! Just kidding, I got that screen name when I was in middle school for some reason and just use it for everything.

And thanks man! The first one is left-heavy, you're right.

Couple other questions. Does the blur in the 3rd photo look realistic? Cuz, I really didn't know what I was doing. And, I tried to make it look like the little chimney was blowing flowers in the 4th photo. Is that too ambiguous?
I like #1 but would have been better if it was shot later in the day.
#2 is the best.
#3 is ok, I can kinda see what you are going for here but I'm not sure it worked out right. THe kids hand is in focus and if he would have had something meaningful in his hand I think it would have made it better.
#4, now that you mention it, it does look like the flowers are coming out of the "chimney"/drain vent. Had it been a real chimney I would have liked it better and/or better background.

I think you were on to something so keep trying.:thumbup:

#4, now that you mention it, it does look like the flowers are coming out of the "chimney"/drain vent. Had it been a real chimney I would have liked it better and/or better background.

Yeah, I missed that the first time but could tell what you were going for the second time.

The biggest thing I can say for that, is that you should take a LOT of different shots from slightly different angles, and then pick the one you like the best! If you had say, 20-50 different shots, chances are you'd have one that worked really well.

Another thing might have been to crop the photo tighter, less of the stuff that says "roof" in the photo and just keep the chimney and flowers.

Since your profile says ok to edit photos, I just did a really quick crop:

letimlivepadl6.jpg

I'm sure you can do a better job, have fun with it!

Wow, thanks guys for taking the time to write these thorough critiques. It helps a lot! I'll try the burn tool edit on the sky and mess around with the blur a little more on the 3rd shot.

I guess I have a bit of an odd sense of humor. When I saw the flowers as though coming out of the vent/chimney thing and the other vent/chimney thing in the foreground it struck me like a father standing in disapproval of blowing flowers when vents should stick to smoke and air. But, this doesn't make sense, because only I know how big the other vent/chimney is in comparison to the one "blowing out flowers." I didn't show that well enough. Plus, it's weird I know...

Again, thanks for all the tips!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back