Noob Filter Question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by JJL77, Nov 29, 2005.

1. JJL77

JJL77 TPF Noob!

Guys & Gals,

Real easy (stupid) question.
    Because filters come in different sizes
    how do I know what size (mm) filters to buy for my camera (Nikon D50)?

I'm just getting into photography so forgive me.

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take a peek inside your lens cap. ;) You'll see a number in there. Will vary from lens to lens. :)

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Filters are not for the camera...but for the lens. So when you say it's for your D50...what lens on your D50 are we talking about?

Here is a tip, if you have more than one lens (or plan to have more than one), get a filter to fit the lens with the biggest diameter. Then you can buy inexpensive step-up rings that will allow you to use the same filter on each lens.

4. JJL77

JJL77 TPF Noob!

We'll I don't have the camera yet but it will have the kit lens (18-55mm Nikkor DX ED AF-S F/3.5-5.6) and I'm probably going to buy the 70-300mm Nikkor DX ED tele lens as well.

Also, what kind of filters should I get? UV ? Polorized?
    I'm going to be taking a lot of outside pictures (wildlife, landscape, etc.)

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A polarizer lens would be a very good one to get. UV filters are good for protection on the front of the lens, I don't know how much they affect the images.

Other than that, you can simulate just about every other filter, digitally with Photoshop (or other software). So using other filters with a digital camera is not very common.

6. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot primarily nature and landscapes. I have a UV filter just to protect the lens, some claim they help reduce haze in skies. I like to keep it on there to keep the lens clean, i'd rather accidentally scratch/break a $20 filter than a $500 lens. Buy a Circular Polarizer, it gives great color to skies and removes the reflections on water/leaves. I also have star/cross filters and a +3 close up, although i don't really use them that much. Filters are fun to experiment with and are usually pretty cheap, buy the ones that look like fun. I think my next one is going to be a ND (split or graduated) filter... i have a tough time with my landscapes, if the foreground has correct exposure, the sky is over exposed and vice versa (sky good, foreground underexposed) i think ND filters are supposed to help that.

7. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh yeah, and stick to the same brand on all filters so you can stack them, i have a UV filter that is different than all my other filters and the threading was different so it would lock with anything i tried to stack on it, i had to use pliers to get them apart. I finally got frustrated with it and bought one that matched my others...