noob - here with noob pics and noob questions

samal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. It's been over 25 years since back in Russia i had a Leica knockoff rangefinder camera Zorki 4 with Zeiss knock off lens, both 1960s vintage models. I also had my own dark room setup in the bathroom...That was last time I had any exposure to a photograpy technics that required some finesse

Anyway, after 25 years of point and shot soapboxes both film and digital, I ended up with Canon EOS xSi 2 weeks ago and the spark came back. i am reading up, taking countless pictures and starting to remember the composition and exposure basics learned back in Russia in school photolab.

I've been reading the forum and finally I think I came up with a picture worth of posting here.

all shot at
Focal Length: 50 mm
F-Number: F/4.5
Exposure Time: 0.2 sec. 1/5
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed: 400

IMG_58651-vi.jpg

IMG_58652-vi.jpg

IMG_58692-vi.jpg

IMG_58691-vi.jpg

The idea behind the picture was to reflect a trigger action - something that once done - can not be undone and starts a process - just like shooting a gun.

so, what do you think? Which one is better? - color or BW? falling dominoes or standing ones?

technical aspect - I used a borrowed Canon 50mm/f1.8 Mk I lens that turned out to be broken - the focus ring was broken, and I could not focus on anything closer than 1 meter, even though the distance scale on a lens started at 0.8, even using manual focus :(

initial idea was to have a wide open shot and freeze falling dominoes but because I could not focus close enough, it did not produce the expected "fuzzy background" effect so had to change the focus point to dominoes and have longer shutter speed to have more "motion"

Also I did not have any lights control except blinds in the window and black sweatshirts and black sofa for the background.

Welcome to the forum.

I like the 3rd one best, color with motion. I think the color version helps because it gives more visibility to the bullet, which helps to draw the viewer's eye all the way across the image.

Yeah, number 3. Nice concept although I must confess I wouldn't have got it without the explanation. Now that I get it I reckon the last dominoe should've been the double blank.

(I may be over thinking this :))

Welcome aboard btw.

Great concept. Your camera skills will increase with practice. The creativity that you have got down would be much harder to learn. You've got that going for you! I like the color, motion image the best.

welcome to the forum. good concept on your pictures. just of curiosity what kind of gun is that?

Thanks for your feedback, all. I am definetly learning - Understanding Exposure is a great book.

The gun - Kimber 1911, belongs to a coworker.

Here is a few pictures I kinda like as well

IMG_5159-vi.jpg

IMG_4965-vi.jpg

078-vi.jpg

Okay, your profile said photos were okay to edit, and I'm freakin bored and looking for practice. I'll concede I am a photoshop rookie, but I would love for someone well versed in photoshop to take this concept and run (and list the steps for us beginners)... I think the smoking gun is cool because the dominos are falling, like you said neither can be reversed, but now in this photo, both are happening at the same time... Just wish I was better at Photoshop... Great shots and great concept by the way. I love photos that make you think...

SmokingGunWhite.jpg

Most reactions

Back