Noob looking for all around DSLR. 40D 50D D300?

mikehrp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Noob looking for all around DSLR. 40D 50D D300?

I am looking for something to use to take pics of my family (to replace my point and shoot)

I would also like to use it to take high res product images. Things like baseball bats, golf clubs, baseball gloves and so on.

Can I get by with a Canon 50D? What kind of lens would be best for both purposes?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

if you are really a noob, those cameras sound a little intense, I would if you want something above the regular entry DSLRS ... I would say get a D90 and invest spend the rest on getting lenses because that is more important then the body, aswell as a camera bag a flash and such.. just keep it in mind that it adds up its not just about the body...

but any of those would be good.

I just want to make sure I can take good product pics. Reading around it looks like with products it's about lens and lighting.

Last edited:
Get a 40D with an inexpensive standard lens, invest the rest in a 100/2.8 macro lens and lighting for your product shots.

For your intended usage, you could use the D60 or XSi. Those are both entry level DSLR's.

only a couple hundred dollars more? if you have the money to throw around go ahead, but as everyone else is saying you should look more at lenses and lighting.

You really think so? An XSi? Isn't the 40d only a couple hundred dollars more?
Canon XSi with 18-55 kit lens - $644
Canon 40D with 18-55 kit lens - $1000
Canon 50D with 28-135 kit lens - $1280

Prices from B&H

only a couple hundred dollars more? if you have the money to throw around go ahead, but as everyone else is saying you should look more at lenses and lighting.
Your right. I guess I should not say "only". Its an investment in my business and a couple hundred dollars in the long run would be worth it to me if it was better.

I need it to take pics like these. But of the entire item too.
Is it a real expectation to think I can get that out of a XSi or 40D?

bk60knob.jpg

bk60handle.jpg

bk60end.jpg

Last edited:
Your right. I guess I should not say "only". Its an investment in my business and a couple hundred dollars in the long run would be worth it to me if it was better.

I need it to take pics like these. But of the entire item too.

bk60knob.jpg

bk60handle.jpg

bk60end.jpg

You could take these pictures with a D40 honestly. I know I am beating a dead horse but, an external flash and lens is the best bang for the buck.

Your not beating a dead horse to me. I need all the info I can get.

I don't know how much you are willing to invest but a good external flash will cost anywhere between 200-500 dollars then think about a good lens. so the body may be only half the cost.

the order of importance for getting good shots is as follows:

1) Photographer - it don't matter what kit you have if you can't use it you can't use it. Of course you improve and learn all the time so you can work on this aspect

2) Lens - the lens controls and directly affects the light which you have to work with to get a shot. Good glass will give you a bigger improvement in image quality than a better body will - unless you start comparing XTi to 1D line cameras - and even then poor glass will still give you poor results

3) The camera body - bottom of the list is the recording device. Also its here because unlike good quality glass a camera body quickly falls behind and becomes obolete technology much faster - a lens can last decades before you have ot think about replacing it - a body lasts perhapse a year or two before it falls way behind.

My advise is firstly to work out what you want the kit to do - product photography and family work. Well most bodies will work for both and work well. Many people start with cameras like the Rebel series - however I know many people have moved (in canon at least) to the 40D as a main camera and are very happy with the upgrade from rebel series. If you have the money I would say if your serieous the 40D is a good investment.

Next up your going to need some glass - I agree that a lens like the 100mm macro from canon would be a good choice for product photography, but I know little about it indepth so might wait and see if any who do that sort of work have any comments. The advantage of working witha macro is that you can get in close to the product if you wish.

Then your going to need a setup for lighting - product work will be basically studio based shots inside with controled conditions so understanding and controling lighting will be important. Myself I don't do this line of photography either so its another grey area for me - but suffice to say research and budget for a lighting setup. Google "Strobist" its a blog which is very popular and contains a lot of lighting advice

Then your probably going to benefit from a good solid tripod to hold the camera steady - that will improve sharpness in shots a lot since you won't have camera shake.

welcome to photography - please hand over you wallet ;)

nope - I will admit I have never used that lens, but its general position is that its the sort of lens one can put on the camera and go out with family or on a walk and be able to use that single lens for nearly any shot. Ergo its taking away the need to swap lenses in the field - which if your out with family or others you often don't have time to do.
However since your using a single lens for a wide focal range its quality is not the best that is achivable - the lens sacrifices quality at the specific focal lengths in order to offer versatility. For family work it should work well, however for product photography its not going to have the quality that you will be looking for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back