Noob Question about Shooting with Raw

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by AprilRamone, Mar 5, 2006.

1. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey ya'll,
    From what I have read here on the forum, it sounds like shooting in RAW is a good way to go since it offers more flexibility in post processing. I did a shoot today and I set my camera to shoot in both RAW and JPG. Well, I opened up ps elements and I am trying to figure out how to get it to open the raw files and I can't seem to figure it out. There's probably something really obvious that I'm not getting about this. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject for me?
    I'd really appreciate it!

2. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
  3. skallewag

skallewag TPF Noob!

i had this problem when i got my first dslr. i have ps cs. i hade to download the raw file updates from the adobe website. just read the directions from that site and download the raw file update for your camera and update the software and it should work perfect

4. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so I just have Elements 2.0 and I called adobe since I couldn't find a raw download for the 2.0 version. Apparently I'll have to upgrade to Elements 4.0 to get that download which is about $80. Oh well, looks like I'll just have to make do with jpgs until I can afford the upgrade.
    Thanks for you help everyone!

5. joyride

joyride TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You could try RawShooter. It is a freeware program for RAW files. I havent used it yet becasue I do all my stuff in PS CS. Do a google search for RawShooter essentials. I know that I dont ever shoot jpeg unless I need to shoot a lot and dont have enough memory.