Noob quextion on a 100-300mm lens

redneckdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just getting started in photography. I have a pentax K1000 and a new Vivitar 100-300mm zoom lens. i've never used a zoom lens before on a SLR. I noticed there is an f-stop ring and you can turn the outer barrel to focus, how do I adjust between 100-300mm zoom? Is the zoom integral with the focus, ie the farther the focus the more zoom? thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

It's probably a push-pull zoom.

you push and pull... hold the lens somewhere just before the zoom ring and push it away from you and it will zoom. Rather than being threaded and zooming with a ring you just manually push it in or out.

You adjust the zoom by one of two ways, depending on how your particular lens works:
1) older lenses use a push-pull action, in which you zoom by grabbing the focusing ring and sliding it towards or away from you along the lens barrel
2) generally newer lenses zoom by turning a ring that is very similar to (but separate from) the focusing ring. To zoom, you simply turn this ring and not the focusing one.

Since you've got a lens on an older camera (K1000 -- great cam), chances are your vivitar lens uses the push-pull action. So try grabbing the focusing ring and pushing it or pulling it to zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back