Noob seeks sage advice

NakedAnt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just purchased a 35mm SLR (Canon Rebel T2) and have been experimenting with it and learning how to use it and so forth. I've been using it for low availible light shots (tripod and cable release). I take the film to be processed at the local drug dealer's (I mean store!!! Drug Store!) for the one hour service. Now comes the pith of my inquiry. My pictures come back for the most part fine EXCEPT for the occasional odd panorama (two per roll) and some off center prints (prints where what should be the picture is off to the side and you can see some other stuff infiltrating on the one side; like two pictures where connected and then cut incorrectly. At first I thought it was a frame advance issue because it was happening with a 28 year old AT-1, but I just got back some prints and the AT-1 roll was fine and the Rebel roll had one off center print. Is this a frame advance issue in my camera(s) :x or did the lab print them screwy. Again the issue is some odd panoramas and a few odd off center prints. Thank you.

Did you get your negatives back? If so, take a look at them. If you've got space between each exposure then you're fine. If you haven't then you've got a problem.

Yes, check the negatives, that will tell you if it's a camera issue or a lab issue.

If it's happening with two different cameras, I'd say it's a lab problem or possible you are using some cheap film that was not loaded properly in the first place.

Was I right when I said Noob? :oops: Thanks Ferny! My negs are fine. The off center print is fine as a neg. I guess this is what I can expect from One-Hour affairs? It will serve me for now. Thanks again. :D

Take it all back to where you got it done. The negative and the prints. They should run it through again for free. It was their cock up, they should correct it.

Big Mike said:
possible you are using some cheap film that was not loaded properly in the first place.

How about a roll sitting in the camera half shot since 1994. :lol: That one kinda didn't surprise me.

NakedAnt said:
Big Mike said:
possible you are using some cheap film that was not loaded properly in the first place.

How about a roll sitting in the camera half shot since 1994. :lol: That one kinda didn't surprise me.

I inherited an old Polaroid that had probably not been used since the 70s. It has two shots left in it. Needless to say...they didn't turn out very well. :lol:

An AT-1 is an SLR model Canon put out back in about 1976. It is fully manual, absolutely nothing auto about it. My dad gave it to me after I told him I was interested photography...also after I plopped down a couple'a c-notes on the Rebel :roll: Well now I have two camera bodies and really nice 50mm f/1.8 that I didn't expect :D Also an enormous Sunpak 411 flash that is heavier than either of the bodies. Anyway, that was alot of words and numbers.

You stand a 50/50 chance of getting quality printing from store that usually has someone processing film, ringing up customers and stocking shelfs and managing the store all at the same time.

Most of those machines drug stores use are an all in one machine the person puts the film in and the machine processes and prints the film without the person having to touch the negs again until the prints come out.

So if you want better processing you have to go to a lab where the film is actually handled by a human. from loading in the processor to printing each neg. But the main thing is finding a lab where they have someone who can see how a photo should look and who gives a damn about the quality they are turning out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back