Noob takes headshot of model hopeful

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by garynyc, Jan 8, 2006.

1. garynyc

garynyc TPF Noob!

How-dee folks;

Just need some pointers for this headshot. What would help maximize this image? I think I could have used more hairlight, more background light, perhaps more fill? Just starting out. Any tips appreciated!

[​IMG]
    :er:

• Like Like x 1
  2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome!

I like his expression, the color balance, and the simple lighting, but I think you're right, more lights would probably help. It looks like you used a single softbox (or maybe a window). A fill on the left would help. He needs to be separated from the background somehow: fill & hairlight or a lighter background. A fill light would also add a nice highlight in his eyes. Right now they are pretty dark, and the one there is mostly in the whites.

I'd frame differently, also; probably vertical. His hair and chin are cropped pretty close, but there's a lot of background on either side. Plus he's right in the middle.

All that said, it's a good portrait. And it's worlds apart from the typical straight-on flash shot. Being limited to a single light, I think you picked a great angle for it.

3. Alexandra

Alexandra TPF Noob!

I agree with mark for the framing.
    Though, it's a really great picture!

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should add that if you are limited on lights, a reflector made of white foam core placed low on the left will reflect some of the main light up on him and act as a fill. That alone might do it.

5. garynyc

garynyc TPF Noob!

Thank you both for the critique. I shot this young guy today, and I think we we both had no clue as to what we were doing. Here's another pic from the shoot that utilizes more of what Mark recommended. I actually used 2 Photogenic Studiomax IIs and a 90 w/s hairlight with a snoot, but I didn't pay attention to the hairlight position half the time, I also didn't want to overlight the dude. Also my first time shooting a dark skinned gent. Lot of firsts!

[​IMG]

6. garynyc

garynyc TPF Noob!

Jeez I altered the levels and cropped the original, then posted it back to my website. Whoops! Now the critique isn't based on whats there now lol.

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dang. That's better. I had just played a game which disabled my monitor calibration app. I didn't realize it until now, so I re-enabled it. Now I can see the separation from the background. One of the reasons getting the monitor right is so important. :rolls eyes:

So... I'm just picking up the second light in his eyes in this larger image. I still wouldn't have guessed it was a light without you telling me, but now I can see the detail on that side of his face in both images and see a little highlight in his ear. I think you did an even better job in that first one than I originally thought. One of the reasons I was thinking the light was so well placed is that you avoided that highlight on his forehead that shows up in this second one. That's such a pain. I also like the skin tone better.

Now that I can see it better, the only thing I would change on that first one is the crop. (The crop on the second still seems a little close to me.) I think you really nailed it, at least to my eye. Beautiful! Do you have more?

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now I'm all confuzzled... :p

Anyway, I wouldn't go any brighter on it. You are pushing the edge of blowing the right side.

You can tell I like this image, because I can't shut up.

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah, my browser refreshed. Now I think they are a little blown. Do you have the original levels?

10. garynyc

garynyc TPF Noob!

Ya a bit blown now. Have to move on and shoot my Canon XL-1 to sell on Ebay! I'll readjust levels again Manana. Thanks Mark!

11. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like your second presentation much better!

12. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No offense to your model-hopeful, but I'd light it from the other side so that the shadow drops off the left side of his face and makes it look less wide.