Noob with some questions

iStone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, My name is Ian and my dad recently gave me his Nikon D80 for me to have. I can also use our Nikon D90 whenever I want. These camera never get used and I find my dad taking pictures with his point and shoot more often. I was wondering if you guys could help me understand what type of lenses I have and what they would be good for? I'd really like to start taking quality pictures. I can only really get good shots out of the Auto setting... I like night shots, long exposure, nature, landscape, cars and action sports. Well, hopefully you guys can help. Here is my list. Thanks!

Cameras:
DSC_0037-2.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

Lenses:
DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040-2.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038-2.jpg

You have some really nice equipment there, especially the 70-300 VR..

Start with the basic stuff. There's lots of good tutorials on this site alone: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rum-photo-gallery/123160-tutorial-thread.html

I'd practice mainly on aperture priority for now, manual mode a little maybe. Get used to reading the built in light meter on the camera. Once you get proficient with the camera settings you can work on framing and composing an interesting image (the hard part, I think).

Good luck! Welcome to the forum.

you will find yourself using aperture Pri. most of the time, just get out and start shooting find what works best for ya, also pick up the book "understanding exposure" will help alot

18-105-general-purpose walkabout lens. I bought one. Not too bad a lens,really. 18-200VR popular and slightly expensive walkabout lens with VR, very popular for people who only want to mount one lens and shoot a lot of stuff with one lens. 70-300VR: a new, very good high-end consumer telephoto lens with pretty good optical quality. 80-200 f/2.8-D, an older professional 80-200 Zoom lens with excellent optical quality and a fast maximum aperture that lets in a lot of light for indoor or twilight work,as well as all-day general telephoto work. 18-55 the low-cost kit lens that came with the D80 most likely.

I agree, Understanding Exposure is a good book.
I have some articles at the link in my sig, also you might consider specific book for your model of camera, some ideas:
Using Your Digital Camera-Contents - A free online beginners course, not camera specific. This site also has specific model camera guides you can purchase (for the D80): ShortCourses-Bookstore Contents

Nikon Field Flash Digital Guide photography by Thom Hogan (guides are in the left column 2nd and 3rd section).

Check out the Nikon digitutor site too: Digitutor | Global Site | Nikon Imaging

Thanks for all the help. I think I will grab the 18-200 and go take some pictures today! Its almost 80 degrees and sunny.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will grab the 18-200 and go take some pictures today! Its almost 80 degrees and sunny.
That 18-200 is the most convienient lens you have, but it has about the worst overall optical quality.

The best optical performer in the lot is the 80-200 mm f/2.8. You'll want to use it for sports indoors and at night and the 70-300 VR in the daytime for field sports.

The 18-105 is a keeper.

The 18-55 and 18-200 are both redundant, though with 2 dSLR's in the family...........

Istone

Don't listen to these guys, that stuff is junk. Listen I will make it easy for you to get rid of it and come take it and dispose of all of it myself, really, no charge. ;) :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just kidding, you have some very nice equipment to work with and your attitude seems just as good.

Welcome to the forum and stop by with often with your photos.

That 18-200 is the most convienient lens you have, but it has about the worst overall optical quality.

The 18-105 is a keeper.

Whoops, I actually went out with the 18-105. My bad. Here is just my first attempt at "decent" shots. I just walked around my house for a couple minutes. I used a simple edit on my macbook. I have a lot of work to do it looks like. lol

DSC_0037-3.jpg

DSC_0042-1.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0054-1.jpg

Just kidding, you have some very nice equipment to work with and your attitude seems just as good.

This isn't my main hobby so I'm not going to stress over failed shots. I'm not expecting to even take any good for awhile. My only goal is to learn something new from each session and better myself the next time around. Thanks for the support!

Most reactions

Back