[[ Noobie questions! ]]

Noonz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a couple of questions i have in regards to a few things i don't have very much experience/knowledge about

1. Flash: I have never used a speedlight before so i need a little guidance as to what i should be buying. I have a Nikon D90 and im looking at the SB-600 and the SB-900. Price isn't really an issue but i don't want to just get the more expensive flash.. just because i can. Other than the difference in size, what does the 900 have that the 600 doesn't (I have read up on these both and compared, but not having the experience of a flash disadvantages me of understanding them). I'll be using the flash for things such as birthdays, weddings, portraits and landscapes (a mix of everything really) Also, to operate the flash off of the camera, do i need a wireless remote? What are those wireless things called that you attach to a softbox and the hot shoe of your camera?

2. Lens: I would like to buy a new lens soon. Not looking for too much zoom or anything like that.. just something i can use for parties/weddings and what not. I own a 18-55mm, 55-200mm and a 50mm 1.8 - they do their job but i need one lens that covers a larger focal length and at the same time is still quality. Any suggestions would be great.

Extremely sorry for the ignorance, and i appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer these.

Thanks in advance.

Flashes: IMO, the only Nikon flash that I would get right now is the SB-600; if you can find a used SB-800, GRAB IT!! The '900 has over-heating issues, and the '700 is still a bit of an unknown entity, but the reviews I have heard aren't stellar.

Lenses: I'm not sure what you mean by "not too much zoom". You're not going to find a single lens that covers the focal length you already have except for the Sigma 18-250 which produces less than stellar images. My advice would to look for a better "everyday" lens. The two choices that come to mind are either the 17-55 2.8 (DX lens) or the 24-70 2.8 (FX lens, works fine on APS-C bodies).

1. The SB-600 can only zoom to 85 mm, the SB-900 can zoom to 200 mm. (The SB-800 (discontinued) can zoom to 105 mm.)
The SB-600 does not have a sync cord port, nor an external power jack, but the SB-900 has both.

The SB-600 cannot be used in Commander mode, the SB-900 can.
The SB-600 has less power than the SB-900.

In summary, the SB-600 is pretty basic. Note that the most effective way to use a speedlight is to use it off the camera (OCF - off camera flash). Your D90 has Commander mode, but Nikon's CLS uses infrared light and is limited to line-of-sight, and in bright sunlight can become unreliable. If you forego iTTL and CLS (the camera controls the speedlight) you can use a radio triggering system. Radio is not limited by line-of-sight, impacted adversely by sunlight, and has substantially more range.

2. I would suggest selling the 18-55 and the 55-200 and investing in Nikon's budget trinity because you will need the aperture for parties and weddings:
  • AF-S DX NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED
  • AF NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF - This lens also has a 1:2 macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm.
  • AF NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED

Thanks so much for the info guys.

in regards to the flash KmH, if i were to buy a softbox later down the track, will the SB-600 not work in it?

Thanks so much for the info guys.

in regards to the flash KmH, if i were to buy a softbox later down the track, will the SB-600 not work in it?
It would work if you triggered it with a radio signal.

Your camera would have a radio transmitter on the hot shoe and the SB-600 would be have a radio receiver mounted on its foot.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PT04-Wireless-Flash-Slave-Trigger-1-RX-Nikon-Canon-/270598012571?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3f00e5fe9b

You would have to use the SB-600 in manual mode, foregoing TTL which wouldn't work anyway from inside a softbox.

Only some kinds of softbox can be used with speedlights, Westcott Apollo's being one: Westcott Apollo JS Softbox with Recessed Front for Flash 2348 -

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back