Normal? Focusing questions, and c+c

ponyboy4130

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im starting out, reading a lot, but went out to the beach and took some pictures of my GF. I want to know if the out of focus feet are distracting? i have multiple focus options on my camera, and always questions if their is a way to avoid the out of focus areas, shoot at the largest aperture? (i dont know a lot, just read books and here) Please any other comments are appreciated.

2605359167_86f7f11678_b.jpg

2605359253_d25a64a71b_b.jpg

2605359157_cfa1e04632_b.jpg

what should i change? i shot with my d40, program mode, with a 55-200 i should have used my 18-55 and got closer, instead of zoom, would that make them sharper? any input is appreciated. (o and like an idiot, i had it set to 800iso, and it was a beautiful day, woops. )

I'm not a big fan of the out of focus feet since you seem to be taking the girl as a whole as the subject and not focusing on anything in particular (eg. eyes) so I would have tried to get it all in focus. You could increase the aperture to get a wider DOF and get all of her in focus. That is just my opinion though.

I agree with xstephenx; given that the lady as a whole was the subject, all of her, and a little bit of the rock upon which she was sitting should have been in focus. A wider angle lens has greater DoF, so it would be the right choice here, and then crop to suit.

Hope that helps.

try using apperture priority mode. you wont have to worry about shutter speed in this light on apperture P mode, and you can increase apperture to get everything in fosuc, try f/11 or higher. Great photos though other than that, I really like #2, the subtle hair/neck touching I feel ads alot to the picture. Great shot. I don't care for #3 as much because she seems so stiff, just unnatural, and please don't get defensive because it is your girlfriend, I mean to say nothing bad about her, by no means. It's just that #1 and 2 seem more natural, but great shots!

ok, great, i have this problem a lot, i just shoot in program mode, for some reason, i need to start really keeping my eye on this, ill give those tips a try, and just keep snapping away, i really appreciate ALL the input. NO offense taken. Its hard getting her to pose, i just say "sit here" its for practice, i just enjoy shooting portraits but have no models. Do alot of cameras come with a DOF preview? Or should i pick this up on my LCD after i shoot?

Just take alot of photos back to back, at least one of them should work. Of course preview them in the LCD screen, but don't rely fully on it, it may look better on the puter screen, in fact it usually always does. I'd say you have quite a model there, don't lose her!

Ok, so I'm curious... even the rock is out of focus. How did he do this? lol I'm not asking to pick on him, I'm asking because I genuinely want to know what one does to get this effect.

Pony, can you post your camera settings for the images? BTW, I do like the pics in general. Very nice.

probably because of the apperture setting, the larger the apperture, the more blurred the background will be.

ok i checked my exif data, and i did mess it up, i forgot i shot in Shutter P mode, at 1/2500, because i wanted to try to freeze the waves, not think my aperture stopped down to f5 to make up for it, sometimes f4.8, not to mention the it was at 112mm on a 200 mm lens? I have certainly learned from this mistake, i hope i can talk her into modeling for me more, its great practice, she is just shy. (that why she wouldnt look at the camera) Thanks for all the compliments! And help!

2605359211_eedfc0b1fe_b.jpg

2605359245_15d1621703_b.jpg

A couple more shots i ruined :( o well, any other things i have to work on?

composition. Where you place the subject is quite important, especially to a trained eye. Look up the "rule of thirds" and it will explain there. other than that, I suggest shooting in Apperture Priority. You will have greaty control, and the shutter speed will adjust itself. It low light conditions I'll usually use the shutter speed (S mode) so I can speed up-slow down the shutter to capture the light I need, while reducing the blur. Practice, have fun, you will pick it up quick.

Nice photos. My only thought would be to move the subject (the girl) to the left of the shot closer to the edge, since she is looking slightly right....I think it would bring more interest to the photo. (and your horizon seems tilted)

Maybe something like this:

2605359253_d25a64a71b_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back