Northeast cold

jwkwd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am getting ready for work and it is 3 degrees with the wind chill hanging around -25, not that anyone cares, but it is freaking cold outside. Well, at least it is going up to 18 degrees on Monday.

Wow, I was thinking about moving up north........ but maybe I will keep my happy, warm, ass down here!

Good luck!

Meh... that's nothing. The high today was -6F. The low was right around -20F. The wind... Good god.

Yesterday I went to the hockey rink at noon. It was +23F. When I left at 10PM after working 3 games, it was -13F. I have never seen the temp drop that fast in the winter in my life. Just insane.

Picture1webug.jpg

Meh, it's standard issue NY weather nowadays

Sheesh, how old are you all? Every forum I visit, everyone is always complaining about the cold. I'm in northwestern PA, we've had very very mild winters the last 15 years or so. Single digit temps? Very few. In the early 90's, temps were in the -10 to -20 F range for weeks. Snow? Early 90's we were seeing 24 inch snowstorms through winter, not just occasionally. Winter is VERY mild this year. My wife washed the truck in January, outside, this year. A couple of years ago, we painted the house siding at the end of February/beginning of March.

Last year, we didn't even see much snow until the end of January. I remember, the day I bought the truck, we had a blizzard storm. Then I took it in for it's free first oil change, again a huge snowstorm. That's it. Very mild when you only have a handful of snowstorms through winter.

It's extremely comical when I get to work and everyone is complaining about the snow. In town, we'll have an inch or 2 of snow and everyone is panicked. Before leaving from work, I'm shoveling 12 inches away from the car and people are complaining about an inch when I get into work.

Age? Going on 50 this year, with a body that has had its share of bumps, bangs and breaks which adds to it. It would be nice if it would be cold and get warmer as spring gets closer, but it seems like just last week it was in the upper 50's for a day, then it drops back down. That is what makes it hard to tolerate. Mrogers, I totally agree with what you are saying. What happens around here is, when it gets above normal for a couple of days, all of a sudden people completely lose any winter driving skills when there is a bit of snow, then its a demolition derby on highways.

Here in the mid-west we are going through the same ups and downs, with the downs a little colder than we've had in several years. No fun, but it will pass. I hope. (come on global warming <LOL>)

ashadiow, this is kinda unrelated, but kinda related....id really like to experience a chinook. are they as interesting as my mind has made them out to be?

Here in the mid-west we are going through the same ups and downs, with the downs a little colder than we've had in several years. No fun, but it will pass. I hope. (come on global warming <LOL>)

Yep, Midwest weather is a total TEASE this year!

ashadiow, this is kinda unrelated, but kinda related....id really like to experience a chinook. are they as interesting as my mind has made them out to be?

I'm not 100% sure I follow you... But aren't chinook winds when it warms a great deal? Or can it happen in revers too? All I know is the other day it was nice, calm, and generally pleasant and then the wind kicked up and the temperature dropped like a stone in water. Just unreal. And no... It is not even remotely interesting. Well, maybe it would have been if it went form -13 to +23... But when it goes the other way... It is just miserable.

This morning the truck said it was -12F.

thats why i said it was kinda related, but kinda not. yea, chinooks warm rapidly. i thought MN had them...i guess not though

uhh, it was 11-f by my place near the shore...it was 6-f by the time i got to work

hmm

Mrogers, I totally agree with what you are saying. What happens around here is, when it gets above normal for a couple of days, all of a sudden people completely lose any winter driving skills when there is a bit of snow, then its a demolition derby on highways.
Wow! You see it too? LOL.

It takes an entire week for the idiots on the road to learn how to drive in a dusting of 1 inch of snow, then it hits 40 F on Saturday, and it only takes them a single day to completely forget.

The day I traded my 4x4 that I had for 15 years, it snowed 18 inches. It took me all of 30 seconds to adjust from driving a 4x4 for 15 years to driving the inherited-from-the-wife Nissan Altima with crappy tires to work.

Tell me about it!!

Everyone go buy SUVs, crank the heat up to 100, and fart a lot! We'll turn this winter around in no time!

Most reactions

Back