Northern Lights & Astrophotography for CC

qleak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For some reason I thought the picnic table in the water might make a neat foreground object, but then i reconsidered light painting it with el-wire once my feet got a little wet. I look forward to your thoughts. What could have made these better in particular :)

1)12 by n8.iverson, on Flickr
2)DSC_1793 by n8.iverson, on Flickr
3)DSC_1788 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

I think your first image is very good, given that you were shooting something that was happening about 500-1000 miles away, through a rather thick slice of the atmosphere.

Regarding the last image, with the picnic table, I'm thinking that less sky would have created a stronger image, because to me, it is the reflection of the aurora in the water behind the table that make that image interesting. Perhaps a lower angle, with the table slightly higher relative to the reflection, may have been stronger. On the other hand, this critique is a bit of monday-morning quarterbacking. You were there, and we were not. I won't claim that I would have thought of those options when I was on site. Usually I get these insights after the fact, once I'm back at home and looking at the results of the photo session.

Very nice! Is your last name Iverson? Mine too! Not a common surname..
Thanks, I never thought it was too uncommon of a name. :)

I think your first image is very good, given that you were shooting something that was happening about 500-1000 miles away, through a rather thick slice of the atmosphere.

Regarding the last image, with the picnic table, I'm thinking that less sky would have created a stronger image, because to me, it is the reflection of the aurora in the water behind the table that make that image interesting. Perhaps a lower angle, with the table slightly higher relative to the reflection, may have been stronger. On the other hand, this critique is a bit of monday-morning quarterbacking. You were there, and we were not. I won't claim that I would have thought of those options when I was on site. Usually I get these insights after the fact, once I'm back at home and looking at the results of the photo session.

Thanks for your feedback. I thought about a lower angle, but I wasn't even aware I was getting a reflection of the aurora on the water till I got home. That was however my original intent, I was disappointed to see how frozen over the lake was still. :)

I like all the shots but my own personal preference would be to take the plane trails out but nice work! Might be hard on the second shot to do that but the others would be fairly easy. I have the Northern Lights on the bucket list. Jealous-

nicely done! I too would remove the plane trails. Also I think the last image would be stronger without the picnic table and more of the reflection in the water

I like them, the first one the most. I would say the picnic table could make a great foreground, but it's just too underexposed to contribute to the photo. Try some mild light painting next go round!

P.S: I often bounce a flashlight off of my hand to give it a slightly warmer temperature when painting.

I like them, the first one the most. I would say the picnic table could make a great foreground, but it's just too underexposed to contribute to the photo. Try some mild light painting next go round!

P.S: I often bounce a flashlight off of my hand to give it a slightly warmer temperature when painting.

I appreciate your feedback :)
Thanks for the pointer on the hand bounced flashlight :)

I like all the shots but my own personal preference would be to take the plane trails out but nice work! Might be hard on the second shot to do that but the others would be fairly easy. I have the Northern Lights on the bucket list. Jealous-

nicely done! I too would remove the plane trails. Also I think the last image would be stronger without the picnic table and more of the reflection in the water

Thanks guys I'll take a look at editing out those trails. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback :)

Great shots. I didn't know the lights went that far south to Ohio?!

I drove to michigan, to a dark sky preserve for these. Still they were only barely visible to the naked eye. The camera did a bit better than I could :)

I drove to michigan, to a dark sky preserve for these. Still they were only barely visible to the naked eye. The camera did a bit better than I could :)
Which place did you go to?
or just in general ?

Nice photos. I haven't ventured out of the city area lately so no northern lights from here.

Most reactions

Back