Northern Lights in Alberta - 3/26/07 early morning

dewey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So despite the bad forecast for heavy clouds last night, at about 10:00pm I saw the weather forecasts change for the better. The clouds were moving out quickly so I jumped in the car and headed North. I Went North towards NewBrook Alberta and about 12:30am they showed up. The lights became brighter and faded in waves until about 3:30am when they quit. It was an amazing experience even though they were still far to the North of me. If the clouds and magnetic forecasts come into alignment again I'll be heading North!

I would LOVE to get behind a lake so I could get the reflection of the lights in the water, and being a somewhat calm night last night I headed for a nice lake only to be reminded I was in northern Canada in March... Snow covered ice isn't reflective... D'oh! :lol:

Technical data: D200 17-55 2.8 ISO 100 - the exposures were between 30 seconds and 1 minute each. The moonlight helped light the landscape.

I didn't do much to these photos yet, just some minor cropping and brightness adjustments.

1)
nlightsout2.jpg

2)
nlightsout4.jpg

3)
nlightsout3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

~Dewey

Awesome :thumbsup:

I like the first one, with the homestead in the background. The railway crossing sign looks a little funny though. I'd clone out the wires in that one.

Jaw dropping pics!!! You must be terribly pleased with these...I know I would be. I've only seen the 'green' northern lights once, when I was on a boat in the Arctic. There was so much vibration from the engines that it was impossible to get a non-blurry shot of them. They are really an awesome sight to behold. I love how you got so many stars in the pics too. These really rawk!!

How do I catch a northern light? Dammit

Those are amazing! Great job on capturing th Northern Lights.:thumbup: #2 is my favorite. Your really making me regret not trying to photograph the northern lights we had here a few years ago. *big sigh*

lovely lovely shots dewey
jealous - who me - only lots ;)

i'm plumping for no.3 in your set:
- wilderness foreground, well no buildings anyway
- reduced motion blur in the stars is a bonus
- and is that a comet trail passing through at the same time...

well you've covered all the bases there!

dewey,

GOOD CAPTURES !!!

I especially like the subtle coloring in photo 3. Also happens to be a nice capture of the constellations of Gemini, Cancer and Leo, with some visible detail of the Galaxies in Leo.

I gotta get out of the city more.

Whoa! All of these are soooooooooo impressive. I have never ever in all my life seen the Northern Lights. I think I'd do the :boogie: should I ever see them!! Soooo impressive.

Do you really think you still have to do much about these?
I feel they are good, better, best as they are! WONDERFUL they are!!!

Thank you for the kind words! It's always exciting to try something new.

Good call on the powerlines Big Mike - it's on my list.

LaFoto can I get a video of you doing that dance? :lol:

Thanks again. :D

Most reactions

Back