Not a wow photo!

russrom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Virginia Beach Va.; Jacksonville Fl.; Fallon Nv.
Website
www.ddpva.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so this photo isn't really good but it gives you a general idea of whats going on out there for thoes of you who don't get to see this stuff on a daily basis. First off a little background for thoes of you who have never seen a U.S Navy Aircraft Carrier! They weigh 95,000 Tons DRY-EMPTY!!! Add the crew, ammo, aircraft, fuel, equiptment, ect... anyway you get the idea, They are freakin huge! The Flight Deck is about 4.5 acres, a lot of room for you land owners... The U.S. Navy is the only navy that takes on supplies, fuel, stores, and everything else we onload under weigh, I think the Royal Navy and the Austrailian Navy have begun to do this as well. All other navies come to a hault.

Anyway this is to show you how close these two BIG ships get while transfering supplies, Oh and they also onload smallboys on the other side of the supply ship. (this supply ship is the USNS Louis and Clark, The first one of its class. Bigger than most of the supply ships)

This Picture was taken from Hangar Bay 1 (of 3)

WeBBB.jpg

Close Huh?

Thanks for reading all of that crap if you got anything out of it.

I thought they transferred supplies via helicopter? Or do they get so close to each other that they can just walk from one to the other?

HaHa! No thats a different type This is a "RAS" (Replenishment At Sea) the other one with the helo's is called a "Vert Rep" (Get this... Vertical Replinishment!!!) They do them both at the same time almost every time!

I don't want to be the guy to try the Walk Rep!

So what do they use to transfer the items? Smaller boats? Zipline? :shock:

A couple of questions... What exactly is a smallboy, and am I safe in assuming that "under weigh" means that both of ships are moving?

Most reactions

Back