not accurate colors, mark III 5D

lol def ferrari

Or you can have both while laughing at the guy who was forced to choose one over the other.:) (not me of course, I can't swing either of them).

what iso should i be using in a lightbox?, i noticed mine is a 2000 and thats alottt. $Untitled-4.jpg

i know my photos have bad exposure, but if i make it more brighter i would get more grainy black dial

here is an example from dark photo to brighter on photoshop. $dUntitled-4.jpg

Last edited:
Next time I'm in NYC, I'd like to come look at all the watches.
(my daughter's appt is about 10 blocks away at 34th and Park)

sure not a problem lew

I shoot watches all day everyday. The best set up as far as I'm concerned is a three light set up I use strobes, a beauty dish with sock diffuser, a product table, an arsenal of bounce and fill cards, a tripod/dslr and almost always the same lens a 100MM L series canon.

Ive used hot lights and tents before and they're just no good. make a small investment into some decent equiptment and you wont be sorry. all in all not including my dslr and lenses I probably only have about $3500 invested into my studio set up.

here is a snapshot of my studio. Its pretty messy right now but you get the idea

With a setup like this you're not limiting yourself to only doing catalog shots. At the same time you can take fantastic catalog shots simply because you have proper separation between your background light, and have very good control over reflections.

Here are some of the shots ive done with this setup and components from this setup.

I love this simple, yet effective setup and would recommend it to any aspiring product photographer.

Stingray, love the shot with all the glassware, very nice.

speaking as someone who is not so easily impressed, wow.
I'd like to know what you know.

Thanks I appreciate that. What I know is product photography takes patience. The best thing you can learn for photographing relective surfaces is to successfully bounce light. This is not something you learn overnight when dealing with small detailed objects, but the premise is simple and every portrait photographer knows it very well. I limit the amount of direct strobe light greatly with white bounce cards and placing my light angled from the subject. Knowing where to place the cards to achieve the light you desire is what its all about.

Thanks, that was a challenging shot. It took me six hours to complete! It was all shot on my product table with the exact setup from the studio pic above. Its actually a composite of six separate images. In order to keep the watches from constantly falling from their positions I shot them one at a time on the stemware arrangement then stacked the images in post. Kind of like you would overlay cells for an animation. I had alot of fun with that shot!

Thanks, that was a challenging shot. It took me six hours to complete! It was all shot on my product table with the exact setup from the studio pic above. Its actually a composite of six separate images. In order to keep the watches from constantly falling from their positions I shot them one at a time on the stemware arrangement then stacked the images in post. Kind of like you would overlay cells for an animation. I had alot of fun with that shot!

Yeah, I was wondering if you managed all that in camera or comped it. Either way it's still quite nice.

You can try to edit it in lightroom, the best solution.

Most reactions

Back