Not all Chevys for C&C

supraman215

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a local car show recently and it was packed. It was in the streets of my town not some field so it was more crowded that most. I have found that taking pictures at car shows is really annoying. I'm no pro so sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 shots to get the exposure the way I want it, with all the glare and shadows and by that time people are getting antsy to get by me or other people have walked in my shot.

After looking at all the pics I took I've pretty much determined that getting good shots of the whole car in this atmosphere. #1 there's always people in the way or in the background #2 the backgrounds are boring and predictable. Good thing I decided to take some creative shots. Let me know what you think.

#1 - did unsharpen mask pp
DSC_0170.jpg

#2 - did unsharpen mask pp
DSC_0113.jpg

#3 - Adjusted saturation on red and yellow channels in pp
DSC_0179.jpg

#4 - did unsharpen mask pp
DSC_0107.jpg

Great job - my only two criticism marks - and it may just be me - the guy in the first picture on the right seems alil distracting - maybe you can crop him out - and the same with the chair in number 2

i LOVE number 3 though - where is the rest of the car LOL

Great job - my only two criticism marks - and it may just be me - the guy in the first picture on the right seems alil distracting - maybe you can crop him out - and the same with the chair in number 2

i LOVE number 3 though - where is the rest of the car LOL

Totally agree with you about the guy. I might clone him out but I had about 4 pics of this car and I might use a different one. It wasn't till I was like 1o mins in that I realized he was there and I was using the wrong picture! with editing these photos I'm still at the level where I'm like, how did I get here I don't know but I like it! So if I start again I don't know if I'll be able to get the same result lol.

Thanks!

Nice pictures, getting rid of the guy makes it sooooo much better :thumbup:

As requested, here's my C&C. I agree that the edit removing that fellow's arm helps the photo a lot. Photographing at car shows, flea markets, swap meets,and festivals is usually a real challenge, since there is often all sorts of stuff ("uglies",as I call them in my head) in the background,and people milling around. Throw in highly buffed and polished paint jobs on curvy car quarter panels,and some summertime sunshine, and the reflections of background objects, the sky, or the sun, can make shooting cars like this a nightmare. An overall, whole-car shot is often impossible to do unless the owner shoos people away, or the car is off to the end of a row. Buildings behind are often counter productive, like a modern 7-Eleven behind a 1960's Corvette, for example...kinda' kills the vintage feeling. With that said...the red lawn chair behind the car in #2 really hurts the shot, and I can see the cloning work you did in the ULC area. Background kills it.

Shot #3, the 351 Spider detail is the best of the bunch, but that white thing at the upper center hurts a lot. Looks like an OOF rendering of the car's info paper. Shot #4 is hurt by the bright highlight behind; the old design rule "white advances, dark recedes," is killing your shot here. The dark air cleaner on the 454 is a nice detail, but that background highlight is big,broad, and hotly lighted, so it just sort of pulls itself forward, visually,and hurts the shot.

As for the Vette with the yellow TEKK decal in the window....I dunno...the wide-angle lens choice makes the hood look big and wide, but the garage and tree and telephone wires behind,combined with the tilt...I dunno...I love old 'Vettes...a 1959 in black is my dream car...car shows like these are so,so,so crowded and filled with obstacles, and clutter, like people and their lawn chairs,etc. Shots like these are just not that interesting to me...they're like salmon fishing photos of dead fish in a sporting goods store, versus shots done out in the boat...the "setting" is,well, just not conducive to good photos. If you do shots at car shows, the close-up or detail shots seem to be the easiest to pull of successfully, as long as you watch the backgrounds really carefully, and re-position yourself to eliminate all background "uglies", like OOF papers or hot reflections, or lawn chairs, etc,etc.

As requested, here's my C&C. I agree that the edit removing that fellow's arm helps the photo a lot. Photographing at car shows, flea markets, swap meets,and festivals is usually a real challenge, since there is often all sorts of stuff ("uglies",as I call them in my head) in the background,and people milling around. Throw in highly buffed and polished paint jobs on curvy car quarter panels,and some summertime sunshine, and the reflections of background objects, the sky, or the sun, can make shooting cars like this a nightmare. An overall, whole-car shot is often impossible to do unless the owner shoos people away, or the car is off to the end of a row. Buildings behind are often counter productive, like a modern 7-Eleven behind a 1960's Corvette, for example...kinda' kills the vintage feeling. With that said...the red lawn chair behind the car in #2 really hurts the shot, and I can see the cloning work you did in the ULC area. Background kills it.

Lots of uglies yes. The red lawn chair was going to be beyond my ability to clone out, though I know it needed to be. Not sure if there's anything I can do in PP. Maybe bring the red channel down a bit. I'll have to clean up the cloning I did in the corner of that shot as well. Make it less obvious.

Shot #3, the 351 Spider detail is the best of the bunch, but that white thing at the upper center hurts a lot. Looks like an OOF rendering of the car's info paper.

This is someone walking through the background.

Shot #4 is hurt by the bright highlight behind; the old design rule "white advances, dark recedes," is killing your shot here. The dark air cleaner on the 454 is a nice detail, but that background highlight is big,broad, and hotly lighted, so it just sort of pulls itself forward, visually,and hurts the shot.

This I didn't notice till you mentioned it. now that I see it I can't ignore it. Obviously the MSD ignition box in the background is deliberate but I didn't notice the effect of white advances dark recedes until you mentioned it.

As for the Vette with the yellow TEKK decal in the window....I dunno...the wide-angle lens choice makes the hood look big and wide, but the garage and tree and telephone wires behind,combined with the tilt...I dunno...

One thing I tried to fix in this shot, was the white paper in the front window but was beyond my ability. I find it so distracting. But I couldn't clone it out to save myself. I think I need to find some cloning tips and videos online.

I love old 'Vettes...a 1959 in black is my dream car...car shows like these are so,so,so crowded and filled with obstacles, and clutter, like people and their lawn chairs,etc. Shots like these are just not that interesting to me...they're like salmon fishing photos of dead fish in a sporting goods store, versus shots done out in the boat...the "setting" is,well, just not conducive to good photos. If you do shots at car shows, the close-up or detail shots seem to be the easiest to pull of successfully, as long as you watch the backgrounds really carefully, and re-position yourself to eliminate all background "uglies", like OOF papers or hot reflections, or lawn chairs, etc,etc.

Yeah it's not ideal by any stretch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back