Not another 350vs20D Thread

The 5D is coming out soon perhaps another option is to wait for a used 20d.

For me... I'm perfectly happy with my 10d. It does 90% of what I want. I'd start with a used 10d ( under 800 ) with a 50 f.18 ( 60 ) and one of the following: 24-70 f2.8L or 70-200mm f2.8L USM ( IS if you can afford it ).

HoboSyke said:
What do you mean whoop up?

The $70 Canon 50mm f/1.8 will beat any Canon zoom (of any price) in a test for resolving fine detail. Today's pro zooms are amazing, and are very close to primes in image quality. But primes still rule, and for a lot cheaper.

The 50mm f/1.8 mark II is plasticky, and cheap, but still makes an image that's about as good as it gets. The 50mm f/1.4 has a much higher quality build, and is of course a fraction of a stop faster. If you can find an older 50mm f/1.8 mark I, it's a nicer build than the mark II, but even used it will cost more than a new mark II.

I also like the 85mm f/1.8. It's a fantastic lens, and not too pricey compared to a pro zoom.

i'd agree with matt. I used to be an all out zoom guy, all the way, and would argue to the death that zooms were just as good. for the price, optical quality, and ability to get wider max apertures, primes are the best. for portability and convenience, zooms are the best. also, dont get stuck on L glass if you decide to look at zooms. I've researched out the kazoo on most every EF and EF-S canon lens and almost every sigma and tamron lens to try to find out if "luxury glass" was by far the best in terms of sharpness, build quality, and contrast. from all the comparisons and tests I've found, they arent. Choose a focal length you want (dont forget to include the 20d's crop factor) and research lens reviews and tests. you'll be surprised at how good third party lenses really are, and for much cheaper.

Most reactions

Back