Not disappointed.. Not satisfied.

I had my D40 for ten years; the D750 is probably my last main body.

It works quite well for me.

A little over ago I purchased a used nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRI, then a few months later I upgraded from the D5100 to the D610. Looking back if I could have just choose just one no doubt it would be the lens.

The 35mm f1.8 DX several people mention is a great lens. I had one for my D5100 and had it on the majority of the time. In your case though it may be better to stick with FX lenses. Sounds like you'll end up their eventually.

MV, what got me started on this was a friend giving me his old (Canon) 20D, along with a 17-55m lens. I actually had it in my possession for six months or so before I even approached it. On Christmas Day I sat down and started studying it.

It took me all of about two weeks playing with it before I started thinking about the things I wished it had or could do. I found 80% of those things in an inexpensive upgrade of two model versions. (Yes: I upgraded from a fourteen-year-old model to an eleven-year-old model.)

In my case the features were... uhm... "utility" and convenience features, such as a more useful LCD display, a button I could dedicate to back-button focus, auto-ISO and settings memories. Things I found myself wishing for as I'd used the 20D. (I gained some actual photo-taking performance improvements at the same time, but those weren't the impetus.)

The thing is: The improvements I seeked won't really do much, if anything, to improve the photos I take. They will simply make the camera more convenient or more fun to use. If I want to improve the photos I take it's the gear between my ears I need to improve, not the gear I hold in my hands.

This is what I was more-or-less getting to in my first post in this thread: What is it you seek? If you seek better, more powerful gadgets for the sake of having better, more powerful gadgets then by all means: Have at it. But if what you're seeking is better photos I suspect you're looking in the wrong direction.

There are things I think I'm going to want to do with photography that will demand some eventual equipment additions, but they'll be in lenses and speedlights. I figure this eleven-year-old 40D body will carry me a good, long way. As for the lenses, in particular: I won't be needing those until I exhaust the possibilities with what I have already.

This is my perspective. As they say: YMMV.

MV, what got me started on this was a friend giving me his old (Canon) 20D, along with a 17-55m lens. I actually had it in my possession for six months or so before I even approached it. On Christmas Day I sat down and started studying it.

It took me all of about two weeks playing with it before I started thinking about the things I wished it had or could do. I found 80% of those things in an inexpensive upgrade of two model versions. (Yes: I upgraded from a fourteen-year-old model to an eleven-year-old model.)

In my case the features were... uhm... "utility" and convenience features, such as a more useful LCD display, a button I could dedicate to back-button focus, auto-ISO and settings memories. Things I found myself wishing for as I'd used the 20D. (I gained some actual photo-taking performance improvements at the same time, but those weren't the impetus.)

The thing is: The improvements I seeked won't really do much, if anything, to improve the photos I take. They will simply make the camera more convenient or more fun to use. If I want to improve the photos I take it's the gear between my ears I need to improve, not the gear I hold in my hands.

This is what I was more-or-less getting to in my first post in this thread: What is it you seek? If you seek better, more powerful gadgets for the sake of having better, more powerful gadgets then by all means: Have at it. But if what you're seeking is better photos I suspect you're looking in the wrong direction.

There are things I think I'm going to want to do with photography that will demand some eventual equipment additions, but they'll be in lenses and speedlights. I figure this eleven-year-old 40D body will carry me a good, long way. As for the lenses, in particular: I won't be needing those until I exhaust the possibilities with what I have already.

This is my perspective. As they say: YMMV.
This is probably one the best replies yet, at least to me.
Basically, I'm a huge tech geek. I love tinkering, upgrading, changing and having good stuff. Of course I want to improve as a photographer and what I have will definetly do for a long time like you say with your Canon 40D. Right now I'm just basically at the point where I feel like "man that's juicy".

The D7100 is by no means bad, and for an amature like me it'll go miles before I actually start using its full potential. If ever. A good example would be my PC interest, I built myself a PC will all the latest and gratest (well alright, in this case I didn't necessarily NEED it, but I use all of it to the fullest), but I basically got it because I wanted to remove any possible bottleneck- leaving nothing but me to improve with my equipment.

But this thread has helped me realize that maybe I should focus on the lenses a bit more, and upgrade when I feel like I'm limited by the camera.

Most reactions

Back