Not EVERY potrait must be shot in portrait orientation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog.universe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nor must the rule of thirds be observed, nor must horizons be off center!

Some folks on here certainly have a lot of rules for things that are 100% personal preference and artistic choices. I realize that these ideas exist for a reason, but sometimes I feel like people have a checklist of flaws they look for when they C+C, regardless of the overall perception of the image.

There are lots of other things like this too, but the ones I mentioned seem to happen all the time.... Use your eyes, not your textbooks!

(not directed at anyone in particular, because I think we all do it to some extent. gotta remember to think outside the box)

I think it's just because most of the time people who don't shoot in portrait seem to cut off the top of the subjects head :p

i agree with misscream they tend to cut the heads off people seem to zoom in too much

I don't always have a problem with landscape oriented portraits.

I don't always have a problem with cutting off the top of the head when it's intentional.

I don't always have a problem with blown out skin.

I don't always have a problem with white of the eyes on both sides of the cornea.

1174050450_LtwTJ-XL.jpg

Especially when I'm in the picture. :lol:

True.

Some folks on here certainly have a lot of rules for things that are 100% personal preference and artistic choices...
I don't think that's quite accurate. History, research and experience have shown that off-centre horizons, "rule" of thirds placement, and portrait orientation often make for more visually appealing images than those which are not.

Do you have to follow these "rules"? Of course not! Should you follow them? It depends. If you, as the photographer like the image centered or shot horizontally, then by all means, do so. There are many cases where this works very well, but generally, most images will be more favorably received if at least a passing nod is paid to composition convention.

* in before Derrel * :lol:

Sometimes it's OK to break the 'rules', but you should at least know what the rules are, and why they exist.

I agree not every shot has got to be this way , it is also good to pull out a bit to give yourself room to make a vertical if it calls for it. Not all shots are going to be billboards etc. 16x20 at the largest for the most part. I don't want to take away from the thread but I'd like to see some Horizontal Shots that you think worked to show the point.
-
FSC_0753usmvighscpcrvFTW600.jpg

-
FSC_0753FTW600.jpg

--
FSC_0800-2FTW600C.jpg

-
FSC_0241FTW.jpg

-

Shoot well, joe

Last edited:
The first rule of photography? You don't talk about photography...or wait...that really only works in the movie...

Well, let's not call them "rules" then. Let's call them suggestions for better reception...

Some folks on here certainly have a lot of rules for things that are 100% personal preference and artistic choices. I realize that these ideas exist for a reason, but sometimes I feel like people have a checklist of flaws they look for when they C+C, regardless of the overall perception of the image.

There are lots of other things like this too, but the ones I mentioned seem to happen all the time.... Use your eyes, not your textbooks!

(not directed at anyone in particular, because I think we all do it to some extent. gotta remember to think outside the box)

well yeah, but i fail to see the point of this post.

Our eyes view the world horizontally right? Even if you only have one eye.

well yeah, but i fail to see the point of this post.
-
Probably to bring out discussion on it as we have started. More than one way to take an image is the way I look at it, whether it be a certain format, crop or perpective.
-
Shoot well, Joe

analog.universe said:
Not EVERY portrait must be shot in portrait orientation!

Well, duh! The idea is to utilize the compositional space effectively, and to match the subject's orientation to the framing of the image. Vertical images often convey action, vigor, uprightness, and so on; horizontal images often convey tranquility, restfulness, stillness.

The key to success in portraiture is to know and to understand the language of visual communication, and the elements and principles of design that are the basis for ALL of the arts. Or, look like a hack otherwise. Kids do some cute macaroni art in grade school don't they! A lot of the newbies here are at the macaroni art level.

Of course, if one wishes to look like an uneducated Mom With A Camera or Guy With a Camera, there's no need to study the visual arts, or to educate one's self; the lowest common denominator and anti-intellectualism can help one go far in life. A nice career in the janitorial arts, or sanitation collection, or fast food awaits those who have no education from schools, while a promising career as a Craiglist or Facebook $40 per session shooter awaits those who fail to understand how to point a camera at a person, or to pose a person.

analog.universe said:
Not EVERY portrait must be shot in portrait orientation!

Well, duh! The idea is to utilize the compositional space effectively, and to match the subject's orientation to the framing of the image. Vertical images often convey action, vigor, uprightness, and so on; horizontal images often convey tranquility, restfulness, stillness.

The key to success in portraiture is to know and to understand the language of visual communication, and the elements and principles of design that are the basis for ALL of the arts. Or, look like a hack otherwise. Kids do some cute macaroni art in grade school don't they! A lot of the newbies here are at the macaroni art level.

Of course, if one wishes to look like an uneducated Mom With A Camera or Guy With a Camera, there's no need to study the visual arts, or to educate one's self; the lowest common denominator and anti-intellectualism can help one go far in life. A nice career in the janitorial arts, or sanitation collection, or fast food awaits those who have no education from schools, while a promising career as a Craiglist or Facebook $40 per session shooter awaits those who fail to understand how to point a camera at a person, or to pose a person.

Thanks you great Derrel for your input. every good photographer i know are really well educated and went 10 year in art school. You are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back