Adour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ljandclare.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Well my long awaited off-camera lighting setup arrived today and with the wife away I was forced to model for myself... Anyway here are a couple of shots from my first foray into off-camera lighting, please feel free to comment / critique as you wish; it is always appreciated.

Both shot with my Nikon D40 using the 18-55mm kit lens
Cactus V2 triggers
Lumopro Flash with white shoot though umbrella about 3-4 feet from subject.

LJ

1. 1/30 f5.6 pp in ps
593346137_p9Buk-L.jpg

2. 1/13 f5.6 pp in ps
593347309_Tc3UJ-L.jpg

i like #2 a lot however i think the hazy, grey look detracts from the picture. im assuming that is from the post processing? some more contrast would help the shadows pop a bit more adding to the cool shadows you already have

Thank you,

yes the effect you are talking about is from post, it does have the effect of lightening the blacks.

I am working with it as a style as it is a bit different and works with a range of different shots, I am hoping it will grow on you!

LJ

i5x180.jpg

I think I like that a little more. I really like the wide images though vs the square ones. So it could all just be my personal opinion.

Thank you all for your replies,

I think you might be right on the crop, I have plenty of space to expand the original out to the left and I think I may do that.

As for the lighting setup, it is one strobe about 70 degrees left of camera and approx 3 feet away and on the same level, set to 1/8 power, I had plenty of ambient and the walls reflect well so 1/30 was fine for a sharp shoot. ISO 200, which i forgot to mention in the OP.

LJ

Most reactions

Back