Not quite 4,000...

That being said, I do think we have a problem here, and the best I can come up with for a solution is that we need stronger structure and moderation than we have.
Not meaning to pick on anyone in particular, I pulled this quote out...it seems to echo many of the other suggestions.

On one hand, a healthy forum should be largely self-moderated. If someone posts in the wrong section, other members should let them know, so that it doesn't happen again. If someone steps over the line, other members can step in (hopefully not in an argumentative way) or at least report the post.
Of course, there is a fine line here. On many other forums, 'newbs' who are ignorant of the prevailing standards of conduct are 'flamed' from all angles and they either fall in line or are scared off. While this does cause them to get a bad reputation, it also serves to keep their standards higher....but in the long run, the lack of new blood eventually affects the forum in a negative way.

This forum has always tried to be open and welcoming to newbies. That is one reason we get so many 'which camera do I buy' threads. But that is maybe also why we find that many members seem to out-grow (or grow tired) of the forum after a while. At some point, many members will find that they all but stop getting anything useful from the forum. To this I say: what other forums are you a member of? This forum certainly doesn't assume to offer everything you could want in a photography forum...there are a plethora of others that offer all sorts of other things...and many of them offer a higher level of 'photographic knowledge', if that's what you are looking for. But you certainly don't have to leave this forum because you join another.

For me, the lasting attraction to this forum is the teaching and sharing of knowledge. Yes, I do get tired of the same questions over and over again, but I also thrive on helping those who truly have the desire to learn about photography.

So going back to where I started, I think the forum is 'set up' to be largely self moderated and thus the few of us moderators are only here to deal with issues that come up...not to drive the direction of the forum. That being said, if the membership really wants more structure and more moderation...then let it be known (this thread for example). But my warning is this...beware what you wish for. We've been down this road before and not everyone likes it. Also, keep in mind that there are many thousands of members who aren't 'complaining' (for lack of a better term) at the moment...and we don't want to have a knee jerk reaction every time a few members voice a discerning opinion.

That being said, I do think we have a problem here, and the best I can come up with for a solution is that we need stronger structure and moderation than we have.
Not meaning to pick on anyone in particular, I pulled this quote out...it seems to echo many of the other suggestions.

On one hand, a healthy forum should be largely self-moderated. If someone posts in the wrong section, other members should let them know, so that it doesn't happen again. If someone steps over the line, other members can step in (hopefully not in an argumentative way) or at least report the post.
Of course, there is a fine line here. On many other forums, 'newbs' who are ignorant of the prevailing standards of conduct are 'flamed' from all angles and they either fall in line or are scared off. While this does cause them to get a bad reputation, it also serves to keep their standards higher....but in the long run, the lack of new blood eventually affects the forum in a negative way.

This forum has always tried to be open and welcoming to newbies. That is one reason we get so many 'which camera do I buy' threads. But that is maybe also why we find that many members seem to out-grow (or grow tired) of the forum after a while. At some point, many members will find that they all but stop getting anything useful from the forum. To this I say: what other forums are you a member of? This forum certainly doesn't assume to offer everything you could want in a photography forum...there are a plethora of others that offer all sorts of other things...and many of them offer a higher level of 'photographic knowledge', if that's what you are looking for. But you certainly don't have to leave this forum because you join another.

For me, the lasting attraction to this forum is the teaching and sharing of knowledge. Yes, I do get tired of the same questions over and over again, but I also thrive on helping those who truly have the desire to learn about photography.

So going back to where I started, I think the forum is 'set up' to be largely self moderated and thus the few of us moderators are only here to deal with issues that come up...not to drive the direction of the forum. That being said, if the membership really wants more structure and more moderation...then let it be know (this thread for example). But my warning is this...beware what you wish for. We've been down this road before and not everyone likes it. Also, keep in mind that there are many thousands of members who aren't 'complaining' (for lack of a better term) at the moment...and we don't want to have a knee jerk reaction every time a few members voice a discerning opinion.

That's because those other 1000 members can't decide between which to get...D40 or XS.... :lol:

Seriously though, so you are saying that if we start reporting the 16 threads a day asking about which camera to get, you guys will lock those threads and tell them to do a search? If so, then that's good news and I'll start using the little button on the left.

You could just copy and paste this to every out of place what should I buy thread...

Photography Equipment & Products: News & Reviews
Talk about the latest photographic headlines and read - or give - product reviews. Also get advice on what equipment to purchase and get opinions from others about various products.

People would hopefully get the idea sooner or later.

Seriously though, so you are saying that if we start reporting the 16 threads a day asking about which camera to get, you guys will lock those threads and tell them to do a search? If so, then that's good news and I'll start using the little button on the left.

I don't think that's quite it. My initial thought is to say that the 16 threads a day are evidence that the forum is doing what it was set up to do - help people. The FAQ on that sort of stuff is fine, with the exception that what's on the market seems to change about every 30 minutes and would be something of a challenge to maintain reliably. Now if someone can suggest some general content for such a sticky, then maybe it can be created without getting to tied into a particular model/manufacturer.

Also, just because those 16 threads are there doesn't mean you have to read them all, much less answer them. Personally, I browse the forum via the 'New Post' link on the tool bar above. That way there is a constant mix of posts passing before my eyes. This works for me as a mod because you can almost keep track of what's going on. For others it may not work so well, particularly if you're looking for a specific thread in a specific forum.

The posts we really need reports on are where the manners/respect/attitude/language etc has gone down the toilet. There is the opportunity for anyone to try to bring things back on track, but there's no need for everyone to do it - I'm really not keen on seeing the mob hounding that goes on occasionally.

see my responses above

ya I understand those things now. And now I know the questions to ask, info to look up and photos to check on flickr.

I'll leave the more experienced people to debate this now.

I don't think that's quite it. My initial thought is to say that the 16 threads a day are evidence that the forum is doing what it was set up to do - help people. The FAQ on that sort of stuff is fine, with the exception that what's on the market seems to change about every 30 minutes and would be something of a challenge to maintain reliably. Now if someone can suggest some general content for such a sticky, then maybe it can be created without getting to tied into a particular model/manufacturer.

Also, just because those 16 threads are there doesn't mean you have to read them all, much less answer them. Personally, I browse the forum via the 'New Post' link on the tool bar above. That way there is a constant mix of posts passing before my eyes. This works for me as a mod because you can almost keep track of what's going on. For others it may not work so well, particularly if you're looking for a specific thread in a specific forum.

The posts we really need reports on are where the manners/respect/attitude/language etc has gone down the toilet. There is the opportunity for anyone to try to bring things back on track, but there's no need for everyone to do it - I'm really not keen on seeing the mob hounding that goes on occasionally.

I see what you mean. I use the "View New Posts" link as well and that's my problem. I click that link and the first half of the page is covered with all of these threads combined with all the stuff from the beginner's forum and it's difficult to always see what is what through this method.

Is there anyway to customize the View New Posts for my user so that it will omit certain sections like the Beginner's forum and such? What about blocking /ignoring a section like you can with certain users? Anyway to "Ignore" that section so all threads within it just don't show up for me? This would be HUGE help for me and probably a lot of others...then we literally wouldn't see the bombardment of duplicate threads.

Is there anyway to customize the View New Posts for my user so that it will omit certain sections like the Beginner's forum and such? What about blocking /ignoring a section like you can with certain users? Anyway to "Ignore" that section so all threads within it just don't show up for me? This would be HUGE help for me and probably a lot of others...then we literally wouldn't see the bombardment of duplicate threads.

Not that I'm aware of, but I don't have anything like the full extent of administrator capabilities that are within the forum's capabilities. I tend to think that when you are using 'New Posts', most things run through the screen pretty quickly anyway, unless it's a really slow day.

There are supposed to be something like 43000 members here. I think there are 2(?) mods. How much sense does that make? The Admin are just sitting back counting the $$ from the advertising.

What I hope the Admins understand, then, is that they could probably get a few more people to moderate part-time for free. People aren't being paid to post on here - they're here because they like to be here, and a little bit of power is going to make them feel like they can make a difference in terms of the quality of the forum.

Essentially, you have a dirty public park - there are going to be some people who frequent the park who would clean the place up for free if only you would give them a broom, because if they clean the place up for everyone then they are cleaning it for themselves. TPF definitely needs more moderators found and appointed.

Is this the drama support forum? Maybe there should be a sticky for whinning.

If there was, it would get overrun by noobs asking the proper way to whine or if one type of whining is superior to another.

... or what is the best lens to use WHILE whining!
I think the 105 Micro would be the best lens for that.
But yeah I dont post any critques myself because of either the arguements or, hearing the crickets chirp from the poster. I also try to add suggestions on how to improve what they shot but, I guess that isnt what they are looking for.

What I hope the Admins understand, then, is that they could probably get a few more people to moderate part-time for free. People aren't being paid to post on here - they're here because they like to be here, and a little bit of power is going to make them feel like they can make a difference in terms of the quality of the forum.

Essentially, you have a dirty public park - there are going to be some people who frequent the park who would clean the place up for free if only you would give them a broom, because if they clean the place up for everyone then they are cleaning it for themselves. TPF definitely needs more moderators found and appointed.

I think you are correct in your statement that this place needs more mods. It is obvious that the "self moderation" is not working.:lmao: All the good photographers, and most that have an inkling of what a camera is have left cause of this new TPF. It needs mods in different time zones, to keep an eye on things. If there is a problem now, by the time somebody gets to it, the thread has escalated into a name calling pile of doo. I feel the others that done "complain" dont give a rats arse about TPF, but for you that do care, are voicing your opinions .
For this place to work now, with the ammount of people, it needs active members who can have certain clean up authority and moderation, where then can intervene in a thread that is getting out of hand. Just a few simple words of warning might keep a thread alive. With the self moderation, every thread that someone might try to keep in line turns ugly. That is only in the galleries I poke my head in. It is a great rainy day lunchtime to come in and read the locked threads. :lol:
I still think a critique forum is necessary, since this is a photography forum. But like others, it needs to be structured and moderated. It does not have to have "specially trained" people, just common sense. Hell....it can work on other forums, why not here.
The poster states his mission with the photo...what he/ she was striving for, camera settings, the elements...and so on. The more info you provide, the better critique you will get. (just my observation elsewhere) I have seen a lot of people that want to learn, and are being turned away by the way things are going here. LIke...dont post a freekin cell phone image of your best buddy Jordan, skateboarding with his shorts half down the crack of his rear at sunset, and say..."what do you think".
I know Im wasting my words, but I hope for those of you that care and wish to see TPF carry on might get some resolution(no pun intended).
Good luck with this. :er:

I have seen a lot of people that want to learn, and are being turned away by the way things are going here. LIke...dont post a freekin cell phone image of your best buddy Jordan, skateboarding with his shorts half down the crack of his rear at sunset, and say..."what do you think".

:lol::lmao: Thank you Chiller! You always say something that makes me laugh and Laughter is the best medicine - or so they say. :lol::lmao:

I have seen a lot of people that want to learn, and are being turned away by the way things are going here. LIke...dont post a freekin cell phone image of your best buddy Jordan, skateboarding with his shorts half down the crack of his rear at sunset, and say..."what do you think".

:lol::lmao: Thank you Chiller! You always say something that makes me laugh and Laughter is the best medicine - or so they say. :lol::lmao:

Thank you Carol. Ya know...one of the issues here, is people take themselves to serious. My gawd....life it soo short. When I get up in the morning, and hear the birds whistling Supertramp songs( I wont explain that to any of the Nintendo Generation tuned in here) but.....I know today is a new day. Live it the best ya can. What we do in our everyday lives can be stressfull enough. Learn to laugh a little at ourselves and laugh with others not at them. :lol::lol::lol:

I belong to a guitar forum .. it also has a 'beginner' section... We get a lot of people jumping in, posting a couple of foolish questions, and then never see them again... We have a couple of forums that have restrictions - system won't permit access unless you have a certain number of posts - and then, no access until past posts are quickly scanned by the Mods to verify you are a 'reasonable' member and not posting just junk to get your numers up.. 200 posts and a Mod's OK, and you have access.. That would keep out some of the foolishness to some of the more advanced forums.. A place for those to hang out that dont' want to put up with the beginner stuff... Just a thought..

r

When I get up in the morning, and hear the birds whistling Supertramp songs( I wont explain that to any of the Nintendo Generation tuned in here) but.....
:biglaugh: :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back