Not sure about my lens

Curious on What you focused on, and what you exposed on too.

for example, in the 2nd photo - If you focused on the trees (which it looks like) then the building in back would be slightly out of focus (which it is). Also check the background trees to the right which are also out of focus.

So I think you also need to learn how to setup and use the different focusing modes and setting focus manually by not allowing the camera to focus on whatever it wants to.

looks like you missed the focus on all three shots.

OK, i posted three pictures. One post for each. I couldn't figure out how to upload the photos, so i just copied and pasted from Smugmug
Whatever works!

I think some of this may be simple operator error, as has been posted above by Bryston3bsst.

I tried to read the focus point on the temple shot, but the points do not show up. I think SmugMug or their uploader strips the EXIF. If you upload directly from your computer, the EXIF should stay intact, which helps the members diagnose trouble.

First; make the file sizes smaller so the images will be no more than 1050 pixels on a side, then use the uploader tool in the toolbar.

I honestly don't recall what I was focusing on in the first shot, I think it was the trees. I think I like that shot, the colors are vivid. The second shot I was definitely focusing on the temple. And obviously the third shot on the duck. I do notice my hands tend to shake a bit not sure how to prevent that, maybe brace my arm against my body more. The pics were taken on aperture priority , I'm pretty sure , so the shutter speed was set by the camera. Maybe in the shot with 1/1600, I should have used a wider opening, and a lower ISO.
I'm doing all this with guesswork which is my probl.

I find it hard to judge the shots in the viewfinder, seems like the protective glass I had installed over it dulls the picture.
Thanks again for all the feedback.

I find it hard to judge the shots in the viewfinder, seems like the protective glass I had installed over it dulls the picture.
Thanks again for all the feedback.

Are you using live view as your viewfinder? That is, are you using the large, rear screen as your viewfinder?

If so, I can understand how you can't hold your camera steady as you are probably holding it at, or near, arm's length. If you use the camera as it was designed to be used, which is looking through the eyepiece, it is much easier to hold it steady.

@Bryston , yeah I was using the strap. But I had it slung over my shoulder, not around my neck. Lesson learned!

Your post indicates your desire to shoot good good pics. If you are new to the camera, fall in love with it, handle it like you'd a small baby, :) get shooting and than look at your own shots and list out what you like and what you don't. And of course share your results with friends and in forums like this would help too.
Since you already own the AIO Tammy, it would be nice to know what it can do and what it can't and try and see if you can live with it's limitation curve, else you can always swap it for something nicer.
Jasii

Thanks Jasii, great post, good ideas. Don't know how I missed this post yesterday.

So then whats the answer? If I'm in a helicopter, or sailing thru the Inside Passage, or walking around Vancouver BC, do I have 2 lenses and constantly switch back and forth? This is what i am trying to figure out. I could probably return the lens its a month old and i still have the box. But I'm afraid to be switching lenses all the time that i will miss good shots.
As a newbie, I'm curious how do you guys handle that?
By having 2 bodies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back