Not Sure on This Engagement Shoot - C&C Requested (9 Shots, w/ My Thoughts)...

BirdyIsMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, everyone. Wifey and I went and shot an engagement session yesterday, and I'm not sure what I think of the result. It was a relatively difficult shoot (for a variety of reasons), but before I send some images over to the client, I thought I would get some C&C. Improvements that could be made in post would be appreciated, too. I've included my thoughts with each photo.

#1 - Not much to say on this one. I think it's pretty strong, and I like the composition.
4327680421_a73d2db10b_o.jpg

#2 - Not much to say, but I wish I had paid more attention to his eyes being a little more open.
4327680365_d1dacc49eb_o.jpg

#3 - A little underexposed, but I think it might just be a tough shot to nail cleanly, given the bright bright bright sky (even though it was overcast).
4328414054_fc96e25a7b_o.jpg

#4 - A bit underexposed, but I like it. I really like her nervous-ish foot twist.
4327680777_540eda3429_o.jpg

#5 - Cute. Nothing to say otherwise.
4328414488_3267676fd6_o.jpg

#6 - Soft, but pretty. Wish their faces weren't a bit underexposed. I almost ran to the car to grab my softbox and a strobe, but it was getting dark, and I didn't think I'd have time.
4327680629_a615f9e1b5_o.jpg

#7 - Normally I'd say that I had that it's cut off at his ankle, but it doesn't bother me so much in this shot.
4328414138_5d6c5397ed_o.jpg

#8 - Again, normally the arms being cut off would bother me, but I like this shot quite a bit.
4327680557_dd88f83172_o.jpg

#9 - Not much to say.
4327680811_0e1cbe2cd5_o.jpg

3 is dark. You mentioned under exposed. Not sure how good with PP you are, but I would sure take a crack at bringing her face out some.

Nothing to say about 5 that PP could do, I just don't get the shot. I have seen this shot a few times on here and personally I wouldn't order one of me and my wife's footwear.

I really like 6, too bad it is soft. The flash would have added something. I am sure the couple will like it, perhaps you could add some vinyet (SP?) to the shot to add a certain feel...but I don't know if I would. Hit it with the sharpening options you have though IMO.

7. IMO, I am not a fan of the pose or perhaps the camera perspective. What I generally don't care for is the elbow.

8. Her left side and his right side of their faces is dark. I would try to lighten them some. I assume that was shadow caused by a flash to the camera's right. Next time you could position the flash more left, or add another flash, or have him step back just a tad in order to soften the shadow.

I am no pro, so take these with a grain of salt, but there is a sense that more of this type of CC is what is wanted around here.

It's harder to give critique on so many images at once. Keep it to one or two and you will likely get more specific feedback.

They aren't all loading for me, but from what I can see...my advice is to give more thought to the background. For example, in the first image, the brightest spot is the building & tree in the background...and that is unfortunately where my eye wants to look. The subjects could probably stand to be a bit brighter but I think they would stand out a lot more if you cropped off the right side, or at least toned it down.
Also, the background is really busy in this shot. Tree branches everywhere...'growing out of them'. I would have avoided this location/angle or at least used a very shallow DOF to try and blur out the background. Also, there is a lot more background than there is couple...don't be afraid to fill the frame with the subjects...it forces the photo to be about them.

#3 has some of the same issues. The subjects are only a fraction of the image, and the rest of it is fairly distracting. It is a bit too dark, but you did well to capture some nice lighting on her face.

#6 is a good example of where having that much background is OK. It might be a bit busy but it's O.O.F. and otherwise a very nice background. However, they really do need to be brighter

#7. Again, I think there is too much background. Crop this shot to just include their faces and a bit of their upper bodies and see if you don't like it better.

If you can't snag a 800 you could consider something like this:
Sigma - Flashes

If you could google it you might find one on the cheap. I have one and it does TTL.

go to preset heaven and you'll find a bunch of presets for lightroom that will help alot with your problems

I am going to give a quick c&c, I like them, but I hate those boots!

Seriously though, they look good, remember you are getting feedback from other photographers and we are going to pick them apart more than a normal person. So I would think the clients would like them, they are alot better than what most people could produce, however I am not saying dont edit them, but dont worry about the clients not liking them, they look good.

As a completeeelly below beginner when it comes to photography I think those are very cute shots! I'm addicted to photoshop though so I'd definitely be editing them like crazy! My reason in being on here is to do digital scrapbooking so I do a lot of sharpening and prettying up for that purpose.

The ring shot is cute but it kinda seems like a lot of background to me?

Also, the 3rd and 6th pictures angles on the bride to be seem to work a whole lot better for her than in the others - as far as being flattering goes, in my opinion.

I wont beat a dead horse and repeat things, but overall deceant shots adjustment suggestions have allready been given, the only thing I'd suggest for the next shoot is catch more natural emotion instead of "scripted" poses; you got it in #6....#3 is pretty close to "natural" but still scripted a little bit. But that could just be a matter of my opinion though, somthing like this you/I want to see the true "feeling" of the moment and capture it a lot of these they're just smiling for the camera.....just a thought. It can be achieved by simple comments you even make to induce thoughts of their first date, they're journey together until now and their lives to come....kind of "psycho babble" but true emotions will come out via their brains thinking....all for your capture.

Being that I'm no pro with a camera, I'll only comment on what's in the photo's, the composition.

#1 is ruined for me by the dingy park bench, when they're in nice clothes. Her smile looks awkward too, like she was holding it too long and got tired. And the bottom of his shoe...yeah, not attractive lol.

#2 is cute, pick his head up a bit more, the position looks like he's fatigued.

#3 looks like she's flirting with a guy at another table and he's completely irrelevant.

#4 cute, but who is it? Looks more like a greeting card picture for an anniversary occasion than an engagement photo.

#5 ...? Shoes?

#6 Great photo! Maybe swap positions and see if it's any better? I'd try it.

#7 His right arm covering a bit of his face and a lot of her..everything. His leg draped over hers looks awkward too, who sits like that?

#8 Great shot. Like you said, missing arms, but not bad.

#9 Very pretty and very personal for the couple. Well done.

I also noticed a trend in the photo's. It seems that you have him in the "position of power" in most of the shots, save for #2. He's either in front of her or covering her. Maybe it's the gentleman in me, but I would prefer in say #1 to have her in front, left leg over right, with him on the other side. He's bigger, so it would make more sense to me to have her in front. No? I'll admit, it does work for me in #8 though.

I think in photo's like these, body language is very important. Like #1, legs crossed away from each other, not a sign of interest but rather dismissal.

Other than that, your watermark is MASSIVE. lol That was honestly the first thing that caught my eye in each picture. Yes, it's creative, and I understand the need for watermarks, but dang that thing is big.

Like I said, I'm no pro with a camera, it's just what I see. Still better than I could have done :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies and C&C! I'm going to work on replying to each of you later this evening, but I just wanted to say thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back