Not sure what's wrong..

for your other question ... the "f thingy" is the Aperture

This is the opening in the lens.
The lens, as examples:
AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
or
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II

the "f/" identified how Open the lens can be.
For instance with the 18-55, at 18mm the maximum open the aperture can be is a number of 3.5. Whereas at 55mm t's 5.6
==> What Is Aperture? | Understanding Camera Aperture from Nikon from Nikon

The smaller the number, the larger the opening and the more light that is let through (also the shallower the depth of field). many times people will have a large aperture (small number) and the subject they are taking a photo of is Out Of Focus. This is a common problem on 50/1.8 lenses. ONe has to learn to use the Aperture to maintain focus of their subject.

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

Yeah Aperture is the word I was looking for.

I'm Swedish and in my language you call it "bländare", so it was nowhere even near to be called the same!
The translation for "bländare" comes out; "mixer" which is very strange.

You also have "stopp", which is very close to our English "stop". See above; f-stop is what I wrote in post #2.

for your other question ... the "f thingy" is the Aperture
No, not really. (see post #2 above)

The "f" thingy is the ratio (see post #2 above) of focal length divided by the aperture. (see post #2 above)

For reference please see post #2 above.
Yeah translation is a funny thing hahahah!
Stop has a wider usage is swedish as well, it can be translated to "slut" which means "end" among other things. Like the last stop you take on a bus, or 'final destination' on a train you call "Slutstation" in swedish and that's pretty hilarious.

https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aMbeAVP_700b.jpg

Right. We can use incorrect terminology because the OP is Swedish, and doesn't speak our language, so the wrong words really won't matter at all.
RUDE! I'd say I'm pretty fluent in english, I just didn't know the specific word for aperture. :048:
However, if I don't understand something I can just google it. The reason I didn't google aperture yesterday is becuase I posted this topic via phone and I was lazy, no shame.

RUDE! I'd say I'm pretty fluent in english, I just didn't know the specific word for aperture. :048:
However, if I don't understand something I can just google it. The reason I didn't google aperture yesterday is becuase I posted this topic via phone and I was lazy, no shame.
Yes, it was rather rude of me, but I aimed my rudeness at the two posters who gave you incorrect information.

I should always remember that sarcasm never works on the internet.

Those guys think giving you an incorrect answer to your question is acceptable, but to me it is inexcusable. If they assume that because you're not a native English speaker, an incorrect answer will not be noticed by you, then it is they who are being rude, not I.

What you call the aperture, or the mathematical relationship of the aperture to the focal length is of no concern to me, but you specifically asked about the "f" term, and my answer is correct, while theirs is misleading.

Now who among us is being rude?

Last edited:
I believe you purchased your camera used. First thing you need to do is whats called a 2 button reset. It removes any of the previous users settings. This will put the camera into it's factory settings. If you don't do this you may be chasing settings and such for a long time.

Normally Nikon has a marking by the two buttons. But it's probably easier to just look up D7100 factory reset on youtube.

After you do that take some test shots. And go from there.

I believe you purchased your camera used. First thing you need to do is whats called a 2 button reset. It removes any of the previous users settings. This will put the camera into it's factory settings. If you don't do this you may be chasing settings and such for a long time.

Normally Nikon has a marking by the two buttons. But it's probably easier to just look up D7100 factory reset on youtube.

p 131
D7100_reset.jpg

Yes, it was rather rude of me, but I aimed my rudeness at the two posters who gave you incorrect information.

I should always remember that sarcasm never works on the internet.

Those guys think giving you an incorrect answer to your question is acceptable, but to me it is inexcusable. If they assume that because you're not a native English speaker, an incorrect answer will not be noticed by you, then it is they who are being rude, not I.

What you call the aperture, or the mathematical relationship of the aperture to the focal length is of no concern to me, but you specifically asked about the "f" term, and my answer is correct, while theirs is misleading.

Now who among us is being rude?
I also mean that quite sarcastically, so I suppose that also proves your point that sarcasm over text/internet is hard :p Either way, no harm done in trying to help! I don't mind them talking the way they usually do, honestly I'd feel bad if they chose to not speak "normally" with me.

Like I said earilier, if there's something I don't nuderstand I'll just go ahead and google it. I have no problem what so ever when it comes to talking like this, just holding a conversation is fine. The hickups are mostly the names of things I don't use in my day-to-day english! Like 'aperture' :) And my swedish vocabulary is pretty bad to begin with hahahaha!
My point is; No harm done.

And I personally felt like their explanation worked fine for me!

This I didn't know, I'll definetly do that. Thanks!

p 131
View attachment 143205
That helps alot!! Thank you!

And I personally felt like their explanation worked fine for me!
Good for you!

If "aperture" is the equivalent of "f-stop" then you've go no worries!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back