Not sure which camera to upgrade to. Suggestions?

little late for me to reply, but I switched from canon to Nikon because of two reasons.
1. I find Nikon customer service is way better than canon. (from my experience)

2. After playing with a Nikon at the store, a canon in my hand for some reason feels like im holding a 10 dollar camera. Has that Toys R US feeling. Im not sure if its because of the weight or the way the buttons feel when I use them.

But at the end of the day both brands will get the job done to your liking. I guess its how good you feel about your camera while your using it.

You will love the speed and build quality of a 40D. Nikkons D300 is more like the 40D for comparison purposes. Both systems offer nearly equal tradeoffs.

little late for me to reply, but I switched from canon to Nikon because of two reasons.
1. I find Nikon customer service is way better than canon. (from my experience)
Seems to be 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. I've heard LOTS of horror stories about Nikon customer service.

I've had a great experience with Canon customer service... very helpful, prompt and timely.

Seems hit or miss regardless of the company.

2. After playing with a Nikon at the store, a canon in my hand for some reason feels like im holding a 10 dollar camera. Has that Toys R US feeling. Im not sure if its because of the weight or the way the buttons feel when I use them.
That's exactly how I feel about the D90 when compared to my 50D, 5D or especially my 1D... ok, totally not fair on that one. But the D90's plastic body left me thinking "toy" after handling a 40D and a 50D which are metal framed.

But at the end of the day both brands will get the job done to your liking. I guess its how good you feel about your camera while your using it.
Bingo. That we can agree on. :)

Just another update.

IIRC in one of my previous posts i said that the D90 felt more robust than the 450D, i liked the "feel" to it.

I went to PC World today and had a play with the 40D, and i must say, I'm very impressed! The size, weight and robustness was more to my liking than the D90.

My final decision is that I'm going with the 40D.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Regards,
Jamie

Just another update.

IIRC in one of my previous posts i said that the D90 felt more robust than the 450D, i liked the "feel" to it.

I went to PC World today and had a play with the 40D, and i must say, I'm very impressed! The size, weight and robustness was more to my liking than the D90.

My final decision is that I'm going with the 40D.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Regards,
Jamie
I thought you might light it. :) Congrats, I look forward to seeing your first pictures.

Right, i don't mean to nag on, I'm going to pick up my camera a week on Monday. I just need to ask one more question before hand.

I've read the 18-55mm IS lens that comes with the camera isn't all that, so I'm asking, if i was to buy the camera body on its own, would the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens bought as a seperate lens be a better choice? I know the specs of each lens, i was just asking peoples thought as i haven't used either.

Cheers,
Jamie.

The 50mm lens is optically better and is faster. However, it doesn't mean the 50mm prime lens is going to be better in all aspects. It some situation, the kit lens is better.

So it is hard for other people to tell you which one is a better choice for you because if your photography use a lot of 18mm to 35mm range, then the kit lens may be a better choice. If you use it for mainly portrait shots, I will say 50mm prime is better...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the D90 is rising, or has risen, to a considerably higher price due to the D5000 being slot in. So, what used to be near the price of a D90, is now a D5000 and the D90 is higher...

But it is the better camera, and in fact, if I could start again I'd go Nikon - simply because their pro cameras are awesome in terms of auto focusing and high ISO handling, which for me is ideal. Especially the D3x. Still, it doesn't matter, because Canon and Nikon are both equally good. And heck, my Canon can handle it well enough - more than enough.

It's only evident at pixel peeping view.

The 450D, yes, is now getting cheaper, so I suggest that.

Unfortunately, the D90 is rising, or has risen, to a considerably higher price due to the D5000 being slot in. So, what used to be near the price of a D90, is now a D5000 and the D90 is higher...

But it is the better camera, and in fact, if I could start again I'd go Nikon - simply because their pro cameras are awesome in terms of auto focusing and high ISO handling, which for me is ideal. Especially the D3x. Still, it doesn't matter, because Canon and Nikon are both equally good. And heck, my Canon can handle it well enough - more than enough.

It's only evident at pixel peeping view.

The 450D, yes, is now getting cheaper, so I suggest that.

I was asking about that particular lens, not the body itself, i have already chosen which body to go with, but thanks for the input though.

Which lens would cope better for a landscape scene?

I am surrounded by woods and i went for a walk the other day and I've seen two shots that i am going to shoot, one of a set of trees in line with each other, and one of a wood filled with bluebells.

Regards,
Jamie.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back