not sure

kelly37167

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a Chinon DSL. I was wondering if DSL and DSLR are the same thing. I've got one lens for it and don't know squat about it. I can take a digital pic of it and try to put it on here. I've never owned a camera like this before and am finding it fun to learn. Also, I bought about 15 rolls of 400 speed 35mm film. The box says versatility and then it can be used in bright/partial sun, over-cast and fast action. Is this good film for my camera? I got an awesome deal on them, 0.50, they expire in December. I figured I could use the rolls to learn my camera. Any help is appreciated.

Based on a quick google search, DSL is just the model name for that particular Chinon (which is a brand apparently owned by Kodak Japan). So it's just a regular 35mm SLR. A DSLR is a digital SLR. It looks like a good one to learn on.

You are having your rolls of film in the fridge then? That might keep them "fresh" even after the expiratory date ... and what a good idea to start learning using film and a film SLR - I hope you also get the development and printing cheap enough to keep enjoying it, here in Germany you would, I can have a 36 exposure film developed for €2,69 with the prints done for 1 cent each and they are good prints, sharp, contrasty, good colours, nothing wrong with them. Do you get deals like that in the States, too?

Welcome aboard, Kelly and have fun with the new camera. I'm assuming your film is color negative film. If so, then you will be able to use it for a while. Don't worry. As La Foto mentions, you can refrigerate it or even freeze it to extend its life. Just leave it in its can when you defrost or warm the film. That will keep the condensation on the can instead of on the film.

Film becomes a little blue tinted with age but that can be corrected in printing so I think you'll be in good shape. Good shooting and have fun.

LaFoto said:
You are having your rolls of film in the fridge then? That might keep them "fresh" even after the expiratory date ... and what a good idea to start learning using film and a film SLR - I hope you also get the development and printing cheap enough to keep enjoying it, here in Germany you would, I can have a 36 exposure film developed for €2,69 with the prints done for 1 cent each and they are good prints, sharp, contrasty, good colours, nothing wrong with them. Do you get deals like that in the States, too?

I didn't know you could put film in the fridge. Thank you for that advice! I haven't had a camera that uses film in many years so I don't know how much it will cost to get them developed. I'm glad there is compare shopping on the net, but even if I just go somewhere and get them developed I believe I came out better in the long run with the film being 50 cents each, that was pure luck. We were grocery shopping and I was trying to figure out how I was going to be able to get film to learn with, my husband was injured at work and is unable to return to work and I am almost 11 weeks pregnant with our third child and looking for a job, and we walked past a table with clearance stuff on it and there they were. I was thrilled beyond belief!

I don't know how to convert pounds to dollars but google is a wonderful search engine and will find out. Thank you so much!

I did go to butkus.com and printed the manual. That was a good site. When I get more money I will definately be giving Mr. Butkus a donation. I strongly believe in give and receive, but in this case it's receive and give.

I was wondering what you all thought of my pic. I know it's all red, I thought that was neat. I put my thumb over the flash and that's how it became red.

Does it matter if it's the fridge or freezer?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I really do appreciate it!

I did go to butkus.com and printed the manual. That was a good site. When I get more money I will definately be giving Mr. Butkus a donation. I strongly believe in give and receive, but in this case it's receive and give.

I was wondering what you all thought of my pic. I know it's all red, I thought that was neat. I put my thumb over the flash and that's how it became red.

Does it matter if it's the fridge or freezer?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I really do appreciate it!

The colder the temperature, the less the film will deteriorate with time. The film can be stored in either place. Just keep it in the original boxes or containers and let it warm up for 8 hours or so before use.

Every challenge is an opportunity. If cash is in short supply, it means that you'll do as much as you can to make each exposure a good one. Happily, the information you'll need to help you with this is mostly free.

As a start, if you don't have a clear understanding of the relationship between shutter speed, lens opening [f stop] and depth of focus [DOF, oftentimes called depth of field], it's a great place to begin.

And then there's composition and light. Your library should be able to provide books on this. Don't overlook those intended for artists rather than photographers -- they cover the same material.

With two children and another expected, you won't lack for subjects!

Oh, and yes. If you have a question, just post. As far as this site goes, you're family.

400 is what I started with (wait I'm still "starting"). I have only been taking pictures for about 3 months and I would say that 80% of my just under 700 pics have been 400 ISO Kodac print... But recently I have been moving to slower speeds like 100 ISO Fuji (but I don't like the color (really unsaturated)). The most impressed film that I have used so far is 100 Elitechrome Kodac slide. Here's a differance of the 400 ISO Kodac and the 100 Slide

400 ISO:
a4db9aae5001faa405065d12615b5ede.jpg

100 ISO:
f1ce1e385c80e84404d3d9c3657baed8.jpg

Can you see a difference?
The 100 ISO has much much more detail in the flower. Granted I think the 400 ISO that I took was a little out of focus, but even if it was in focus the detail is much less. From my limited experience slide has a much smaller grain giving a much more detailed picture... but... One roll cost me about $11 and then another $12 to have it prossessed then it's another $.16 (I think) to get a print of a 4x6 so it's expenesive. I'm in the middle of a 50 ISO Velva Fuji slide roll that I'm really excited to get developed. That is my 2.8374 cents lol...

I did/do see the difference, the 100 ISO is much clearer, beautiful. I've done alot with a digital camera and alot of the shots were pure luck but turned out great IMO. I have a few on skyfolder put can only show them with the link. I'll learn, eventually, how to put one on the forum itself. Thank you all for the advice. I really look forward to learning more from everyone here on the forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back