Not taking a photo

Here's another fresh, original photo subject, with , "About 5,900,200" results.

photos of Half Dome - Google Search

Take the photo? Or just buy the postcards? Delude yourself into thinking you're doing original "art" here with this subject? Or realize what the reality is?

Take the photo? Or just buy the postcards? Delude yourself into thinking you're doing original "art" here with this subject? Or realize what the reality is?
So, why do YOU shoot?

So, why do YOU shoot?

Probably for the same reasons as the rest of us

1) Because it doesn't matter if someone else has done it; or will do it; or can do it; or might do it better; or a billion other such terms - WE WANT to do it too.

2) Because even in the sea of samey similar shots there's always room for a few more creative angles or ideas. Some of is will want to explore them; will want to find them; others are happy to copy or use similar methods - to emulate the works that inspire them.

3) Because its fun

4) To get PAID.

"Samey" as they are to SO MANY OTHERS, I'm making money off plenty of my "samey" landscape and object shots, not just my portraiture work.

Then again, I'm not jaded enough to think that everything I shoot is a waste of my time and effort because it's "all been done before".

I really don't care if there's 5million photos of Half Dome. When I shoot it, that photo is MINE. It's the product of MY life and experience, it's the representation of MY experience and travels there. I may be the only one here, but I'm not looking for originality. I don't give two craps about if someone has taken that shot before. When I shoot it, it's mine.

I shoot from where I am at the time so that I can capture at least part of what I was thinking and experiencing.
If I see lots of things, I try to capture the thought, if I am distracted and 'see' very few or none, then I get no pictures.

Last edited:
And the previsualization load of horsehockey that Ansel Adams used to boost his media image, back in the day...t

...I was fed that BS as a young man in the 1970's and 1980's...tho

So why didn't you give up with photography in the 70's when you realized it was all "horsehockey" and "BS"?

BrickHouse said:
I really don't care if there's 5million photos of Half Dome. When I shoot it, that photo is MINE. It's the product of MY life and experience, it's the representation of MY experience and travels there. I may be the only one here, but I'm not looking for originality. I don't give two craps about if someone has taken that shot before. When I shoot it, it's mine.

Well, it's a good thing you realize you are shooting cliche subject matter, and you are under no delusions that you are doing groundbreaking work, as so many people seem to think they are. it's amusing to think that somehow there's a great chance to shoot the Golden Gate Bridge in some new way, or the Brooklyn Bridge in some new way that has not been figured out in the prior billion exposures of either landmark.

It's a GOOD thing to realize when you're doing CRAFT, or COMMERCE, and not making "Art", with a capital A...

No sense fooling one's self. The idea is simple: stop telling yourself what YOU are shooting is "Art", and what the selfie-shooting or Instagram crowd or the MWACs are shooting is garbage....you're actually all the same, that's what I am saying. Stop denigrating the "others" while elevating your work to "Art"..because..it's NOT...

Don' t think that by NOT shooting, you are somehow advancing "Art". And don;t try and proclaim that by shooting less, or by NOT shooting, that you are somehow advancing "Art". It don't work that way...

That is what I'm trying to say, and yet we have people that can't seem to admit that yet another shot of some homeless person is not automatically "Art".

We have some members here who have these high and mighty pretensions of doing "Art",when in reality, it is not.

Last edited:
Between Derrel and Buckster, they pretty much have the passive-aggressiveness franchise all wrapped up.

I could not agree with you more sir. I was thinking the exact same thing.

The fact that Instagram exists means we've reached critical mass.

I'm surprised people haven't begun introducing themselves by their IG handle instead of their name.

“It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”

Mahatma Gandhi

I'm never sure why people try to keep others from trying to achieve but it seems that it must stem from a deep and bitter disappointment about themselves.

“It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”

Mahatma Gandhi

I'm never sure why people try to keep others from trying to achieve but it seems that it must stem from a deep and bitter disappointment about themselves.

Sometimes it's not the fact that they have achievements but the constant plea for external validation for their achievements.

Between Derrel and Buckster, they pretty much have the passive-aggressiveness franchise all wrapped up.

Poke Buckster long enough, he'll crack. In the end, he's as arrogant as the rest of us.

Well, it's a good thing you realize you are shooting cliche subject matter, and you are under no delusions that you are doing groundbreaking work, as so many people seem to think they are. it's amusing to think that somehow there's a great chance to shoot the Golden Gate Bridge in some new way, or the Brooklyn Bridge in some new way that has not been figured out in the prior billion exposures of either landmark.

It's a GOOD thing to realize when you're doing CRAFT, or COMMERCE, and not making "Art", with a capital A...

No sense fooling one's self. The idea is simple: stop telling yourself what YOU are shooting is "Art", and what the selfie-shooting or Instagram crowd or the MWACs are shooting is garbage....you're actually all the same, that's what I am saying. Stop denigrating the "others" while elevating your work to "Art"..because..it's NOT...

Don' t think that by NOT shooting, you are somehow advancing "Art". And don;t try and proclaim that by shooting less, or by NOT shooting, that you are somehow advancing "Art". It don't work that way...

That is what I'm trying to say, and yet we have people that can't seem to admit that yet another shot of some homeless person is not automatically "Art".

We have some members here who have these high and mighty pretensions of doing "Art",when in reality, it is not.

Let's all be honest here, what I shoot isn't even art with a little a, but it makes me happy. I enjoy the hell out of taking pictures and for the rest of my life get to look back on these shots to help supplement my often failing memory. Maybe that's the freedom of being a hobbyist.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back