Novice Looking for Comments

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Nathant888, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Nathant888

Nathant888 TPF Noob!

Hi,
    First time poster. I'm Nate Thomas, a junior in High School. Can you all take a look at my Photo Bucket account with 4 albums and let me know what you think (44 pictures in all i think)? I got into photo last summer and had some time to post some online.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v651/Nathant888/

Thanks in advance, please post the good, bad, and the ugly, I'm just trying to improve
    -nt
    [​IMG]

(All shots were taken on a Minolta SRTMC-II Film SLR. All film was 400 Kodak, and the B&W photos are 400 T-Max)

2. FlashSpeedo

FlashSpeedo TPF Noob!

it's hard to comment on all pictures in 1 post, but i think your work overall is pretty good. they're all well exposed, a few show thoughtful perspectives and clever composition. you're on the right track.

your first 2 b/w tree shots don't do much for me as i think they lack in composition. i've also tried to shoot trees from various angles, and the head-on angle is usually a pretty bland picture unless the tree is a foreground and you have an exciting background. i've had some success shooting trees straight up the trunk w/ wide angle -- see # 74 - 83 here, http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/joeya...//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/joeyajames/my_photos

3. loopy

loopy Brave little froggy...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not a big fan of the tree photograph, although I did look at your website and I think you're definatly on the right track. I really like the hallway photo and the notepad photo from the indoor gallery.

Keep Shooting

4. Nathant888

Nathant888 TPF Noob!

Thanks! I definitely plan to

-nt

5. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

This picture has too many elements in it. You need a focus.

6. mpdc

mpdc TPF Noob!

I thought the shadows in this photo were very well done.
    New at it too though.

7. chroix

chroix In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"

The pictures in the Indoor gallery look like you took a lot more time on their compostion and had better ideas of what you wanted to capture. Apply this same time and thought to your other shots and I guarantee you will really appreciate the results. This happens a lot I think. Its harder and more akward to do this outside but that's what practice gets you and also don't worry about how long it takes. Practice until you instinctively look for the angle, the light etc.

8. aghastpumpkin

aghastpumpkin TPF Noob!

Its a landscape shot, thats why. Its not always good to have a focus point, as it can draw your attention away from other parts of the picture.

9. Nathant888

Nathant888 TPF Noob!

10. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    oooh... that's a good shot (this last one, that is). Really good composition. I'm going to check out the fotki account now.

PS: welcome to the forum. I'm also a high school junior :)