Now they're mad at me !!

Like others have said, I think you did the right thing.

It comes down to your comfort level. If you feel you don't have the gear and/or experience, good on you for putting your foot down and saying no. More people should say no in situations like this.

They'll get over it.

You are absolutely correct! We didn't have much of a budget for our wedding photographer and had people offer. I turned them down because I didn't want to end up with something terrible and have hard feelings.

My suggestion, and what I ended up doing (sort of) is to tell them to go to a local college or post on some message boards saying they are looking for someone to take wedding pictures on a X budget (or free). You're willing to give someone a shot who's looking to strengthen their portfolio. Photography majors, art design, etc. They are out there!

I made a post on a message board looking for a photographer on my $750 budget and was really picky about the type/quality of the photos. Someone replied back who said she had taken pictures of children/families for years and was wanting to see about getting into weddings. We were her first and she was awesome! She now charges 3500 and is booked 2 years out.

You did the right thing. Stick to your decision!

Most reactions

Back