Now this is a ZOOOOOM!!!

What lens is that?

Web-sized video is one thing. Full-resolution imaging is quite another. I'd prefer to judge the lens on IQ, not zoom ratio.

Is it this one?

Trouble is you can't engineer out atmospheric distortion, well cool it's never going to be a sharp clear image.

Nikon p900 ?

Trouble is you can't engineer out atmospheric distortion, well cool it's never going to be a sharp clear image.

Sure you can. You just engineer a rocket to get you above the atmosphere.

The Canon SX700 has like a 4.5mm to 135mm zoom lens, a 30x optical zoom ratio, with in-camera image stabilizer. MY ex-wife handed the camera to me and asked me to take some photos of her and my son with it on Mother's day....OMG...I took a dual portrait of them from 160 feet away...with a little point and shoot. That new Nikon Astro mentioned has a ridiculously long zoom as well; a number of cine lenses have ridiculous zoom ranges, as do some of the newer P&S and bridge digital cameras. Isn't that new Nikon 900 model an effective 2,000mm (compared to 35mm 24x36)?

yup, the Nikon P900 has an effective zoom of 24mm - 2,000mm optical 83x zoom, and supposedly digital zoom to 8,000mm.
uses a 1/2.3 inch sensor and 4.3 to 357/2.8-6.5 lens
and it supposedly has good ISO capabilities too.
all for $600 USD

it's been on my .. "should I, or shouldn't I" buy list since it came out.

Last edited:
7 fps ... Nikon COOLPIX P900 Compact Digital Camera

they supposedly had to increase production to meet demand.
but, it doesn't do RAW :(
It's still on my list ... at 8,000mm digital (which on my P&S on digital zoom is horrible) but still 2,000 is what my telescope does before magnification. If I could hook that up to my scope in zoom .. I'd have a 12inch 2,000mm scope + 2,000(or 8k)mm P900. I wonder how bad or clear the images could be.

BrightByNature said:
****. I got burglarized again.

Oh, cr*p! Please tell us that nothing good was stolen!

Whats crazy is for an example Canon 500mm f/4 @ 7 pounds yet they squeeze 1200mm in a 8oz camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back