Now you see it...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by pixeldawg, Nov 28, 2008.

1. pixeldawg

pixeldawg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK... SInce I put comments up on some of the images in this gallery, it's only fair for you to bash me back, right??? :lol:

This is my friend Kurt Anderson. Kurt is a professional magician and goes all over the country performing. His big trick is making a car disappear. Anyway, a while back, he'd called me and asked if I could shoot some new publicity shots of him. I'd looked around on the internet at some of the other magicians and was shocked at how bad the publicity shots were. REALLY bad. So, I decided to so something that was simple, but well done.

Now, if you're like most people, you're looking at this saying "That flame isn't real, it's photoshopped in. Wrong! Magicians use this HIGHLY flammable paper to make their "poof" fires. They hold it in a small container in the palm of their hand and it gets lit and shot out at the same time. I decided that since the flame was in essence a flash, I'd use my flash meter to measure the light it emitted and then build the other lighting around that.

This is a four light setup with Alien Bee's. 3 400's and an 800 for the main "Softbox" light. If you're interested in seeing more about how I did this shot, you can read the article that I wrote for Popular Photography & Imaging here:

http://www.popphoto.com/lighting/3707/four-light-portrait-how-to.html

Anyway, here's the photo... hope you enjoy it!

[​IMG]

2. fasttrifive

fasttrifive TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that looks soo. fake....but i totally belive you its real........gREAT PIC

3. Evil Eagle

Evil Eagle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Might be a good picture, but you should have had him look on the net for some fashion inspiration.

4. pixeldawg

pixeldawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, it's a part of his act. He used to dress in the typical tux, but now does an act that's geared toward younger people. Thanks for the comments! :D

5. Evil Eagle

Evil Eagle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am younger, and my advise is to get someone younger to help dress him because I dont know of many people my age into a look like that. Just trying to help.

6. ClarkKent

ClarkKent TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The way the hair light is hitting is hair and shoulders, it almost appears that hes be cut and pasted onto the background.

7. pixeldawg

pixeldawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ha! nope, no cut and past on this shot. All shot at the same time. In fact, we only shot about 6-7 frames of this pose before we got one we liked. The most difficult part of making this image was getting the position of the flame in a pleasing location.

Also, if you'll look closely at those highlights on his shoulders, you'll see that there's detail there and that it is indeed his shirt and not background.

Not trying to be snooty, but there's a huge difference between almost correct and truly correct lighting. A good hair and rim light SHOULD seperate the subject from the background. And again, if it's done correctly, should be evenly lit and not blown out.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Love this shot! Especially the light hitting his face. Excellent tutorial.

Love & Bass

9. Rrr3319

Rrr3319 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :thumbup: I think you accomplished what you wanted: "simple, but well done". It's a nice shot, and I think you get the point across that he's a magician without him looking like a total cheeseball which is definitely good. It's funny though because the fireball does look kind of fake. But I guess I haven't taken too many fireball pictures to compare it to. ;) Nice job.

10. pixeldawg

pixeldawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What your suggesting is really the job of a stylist, not a photographer. My job is to simply represent him in the "best possible light"... hahaha... get it? :lol: Thanks once and all for your interest and comments. I appreciate all of them!

11. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can only imagine how hard that shot is to capture. Nice job.

12. ClarkKent

ClarkKent TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I did forget to mention that I do like the flame. What sells the flame for me is the reflection on the shirt and hand from the flame. I have been trying to capture a match at ignition...and I know of this super flammable paper...its tough and you did a great job capturing.