Now's the worst time in history to buy a new TV

I so much wish I was like you with respect to photographic gear ;) Unfortunately I am always tempted to update there :confused:

My business model might change when income exceeds requirements as I can then claim new camera expenses back off tax. I really quite fancy a 1D Mk3 purely because at 21 megapixels it will give me an image more than double the size I can get from my 30D. Imagine instead of a 20x30, a 40x60! That's the kind of quality that would have me moving into medium format quality with a 35mm SLR!

One feature when considering a new TV is resolution. What resolution will these new TV's be?? At the moment, HDTV units are up to 1080 but most signals broadcasting in HD are only at 768. I dont know why both cant change together. It will be a little while yet until we can fully utilise our 1080 units and by that time, manufacturers will move to the next level in HD. Kind of like a cart before the horse situation if you ask me.

One feature when considering a new TV is resolution. What resolution will these new TV's be?? At the moment, HDTV units are up to 1080 but most signals broadcasting in HD are only at 768. I dont know why both cant change together. It will be a little while yet until we can fully utilise our 1080 units and by that time, manufacturers will move to the next level in HD.

I think they are already on the next level.
Sansung demos ultra-sharp 2160p TV with 120Hz panel

The biggest problem will remain content not technical problems. BluRay discs are still too expensive compared to standard DVDs, and I've heard reports of american cable companies over compressing their HD channels so their look like crap. I can't speak for Australians because our locals still haven't pulled their finger out to offer high def cable.

I like the common quote companies use for not putting out more high def content. The average consumer can't tell the difference. Well of course not, they don't have a HD TV and they are waiting for more content to buy one.

The worst time in history? 1932 wasn't a very good year to buy a television either. Just 30 lines, and a bandwidth so low that you could record the video signal with an audio recorder.

Best,
Helen

Im going to agree with Garbz on this one. Dont worry about the technology at this point. Its to the point that the content is hat is holding back.Stick with DLP/plasma/LCD. Each has their highs and lows, you decide what is best. Each one offers several models that will display at the resolution of the best content. Also, I think they only thing that you gain with the oled is the size. They have the same resolution as current displays. If you are that picky with your image, go buy a very good LCD, then spend a lot on a power conditioner. Most people overlook this piece, and it is a necessity if you are that picky. Also, as far as the new Samsung, there is no point to the 120 hz refresh rate except for multi person video gaming. Your eyes dont notice it at all. Just marketing hype. I would love to have someone prove to me that they can see their fluorescent light turning on and off 60 times a second.:er:

I'm afraid my remote will break soon, while the TV still works. What then?
Either pay a gazillion dollars for one of these current POS TVs, then pay yet another freakin monthly fee to change it from POS to HD since without HD, I have yet to see anything that looks better than my 1996 Magnavox 27" CRT television.

Or, buy a $4 universal remote and save $999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,996 (that would be $4 less than a gazillion :D)

Grrrrrr, all this expensive television and HD crap is really ticking me off. Haven't seen a pay raise in 5 years, I can't afford to buy new TV equipment.... I don't know what I will do when my TV breaks as you can hardly find a normal TV in the stores anymore. I'm not paying yet another monthly charge for HD after already paying out the *** just for the satellite. Thus, I guess I'll be paying four times what I think is reasonable for a television unit and only utilizing half of it.

Good news about HD is that if you get one of those huge (ugly) erector set antenna's, you can get a lot of free over the air channels. Not to mention that they are actually considered better because they are coming straight from the source, not compressed when coming through conventional cable sources. ypical HD channels include: ABC, NBC, CBS, fox, religion, PBS...There are some others, but those usually have all the programming one would need to watch.

Check out http://www.antennaweb.org to find out if you get over the air HD in your area and what kind of antenna you may need. You never know, it may only cost you $35 and a trip to Radio shack to get HD.

2500242216_8ec43c3ef2_o.jpg

If I had a nickel for every time a girl looked at me with that look and that hand gesture... :(

Good news about HD is that if you get one of those huge (ugly) erector set antenna's, you can get a lot of free over the air channels. Not to mention that they are actually considered better because they are coming straight from the source, not compressed when coming through conventional cable sources. ypical HD channels include: ABC, NBC, CBS, fox, religion, PBS...There are some others, but those usually have all the programming one would need to watch.

Check out http://www.antennaweb.org to find out if you get over the air HD in your area and what kind of antenna you may need. You never know, it may only cost you $35 and a trip to Radio shack to get HD.

our free to air channels are available in analog and digital. To get the digital signal you need a set top box and most of these channels broadcast in dolby and HD. Most set top boxes are reasonably priced now.

Most reactions

Back