Nude Nina

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by photogoddess, Jun 2, 2004.

1. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is from my first formal portrait shoot in a good long time. She really liked them but I keep feeling like it's missing something. Details - Olympus E20-N, ISO 80, f 5.6, 1/500.
    Critique please.

[​IMG]

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you are really close, with good composition, including camera angle and such. My main issue is the light.

Where did you have the light coming from? It looks like it's fairly straight on, light a hot-shoe flash rotated off to the right. I tend to find light coming from the upper left to be more pleasing. This is a bit low and direct.

I'd also crop in a little on the right, even if it means losing a little of the hair. The image doesn't feel completely balanced to me as-is.

3. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just looks a little overall washed out to me. That may have been intentional though?

4. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This was intended to be "high-key" so it's intentionally a bit overexposed. Lighting was 2 strobes with umbrellas. Powerpack was set to 250 w/s. Each light was placed on each side of her (if she was facing forward) which is why there is a bit more light on her left side than her right. In PS, I made a layer with a slight gausian blur and brought out the sharpness in her eyes. It's a style that I have really been wanting to experiment with but this was my first effort at it. Not bad but I really feel that it could use some improving. Here is another shot that I took at the same time.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the comments so far. Feel free to make improvements if you want.

5. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

I like hi-key portraits.

In the first pic,
    I'm only missing a kicker light on the hair. On my monitor I see a very subtle light ratio (hi-key). I see the triangular kicker highlight on the far cheek which is awesome. I recognize the lighting style as a classic.

The pose works but isn't one of the classic poses.

Remember this particular lighting setup and use it as one of the permanent tricks in your bag.

This is one of the better studios shots I've seen here on the forum.

I didn't like the 2nd shot. The pose did nothing to compliment the model.

6. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not sure what that means and I'm curious. I'm still a newbie to photography and don't understand all of the lingo yet.

As to the picture, While I know you want it to be high-key (probably to hide age or blemishes), I think you can do this while still making the darks a little darker. Let me know if you think my adjustment works.

[​IMG]

Daniel

7. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

DanielK, Your modesty is overwhelming or surely you jest. LOL. Your photo submissions are definitely not accidents and I would never have guessed that you were inexperienced--

How many famous or historic portraits have you seen of famous/historic people where the subjects have their eyes closed? If you can give me an example, I will reclassify my appraisal to "Classic" pose.

8. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Thanks for the complement. I really am new to photography. I have taken my fair share of pictures, but I didn't know what an f-stop was until a few weeks ago. I'm taking a beginners photography class this month starting Monday night. I did used to suppliment my income by showing my paintings in galleries, but that was a few years ago. WHat you may be seeing may be a bleed over of my compositional sense from that, but I assure you that I'm just beginning to learn my way around a camera.

I think I'm still missing what you mean by one of the "classic" posees. Do you meran classic in the sense of 'expected' or 'customary'? Or do you mean it as 'traditional'? I'm sorry if this may seem sarcastic. It's really not. I really do want to understand what you are saying. I fear we are taking this thread off topic, though. Maybe we should start a new one in another forum? I think this is an interesting subject. Well, it is to me, anyway. :)

Daniel