Nude tips anyone?

DIRT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jfreeman.smugmug.com
Okay, im gonna be shooting some artistic nudes. i want a certain look and i want a very low contrast almost all white and light gray photos. very bright and dreamy. I have 2 softboxes (250w each) and I just wanted to see if anybody had any tips on acheaiving the "very white" look. thanks.

Overexpose by a stop or more (depending on the model's complexion). That should help you with the high key look that you're aiming for.

and use Silver reflectors if you have any (I think I just stated the bleeding obvious). Use pearly white cloth if you have any (you know, either drapped in front of or over parts of the model), oh, and white jewellery (such as a string of pearls or pearl/silver earrings). The other bleeding obvious is to check & set your white balance on the first shot.

The other thing (different maybe but interesting) I have seen done with great effect is to use a mirror instead of a reflector directly onto the face. Helps enormously with the high key effect but also tends to leave the rest of the body a little under exposed. IMO it made for less perv and more art (if you know what I mean).

I'd also either use a dark or dead white backdrop - be careful it's not cream or pastel because it will ruin the effect you are after.

Finally, think about a little white body powder (makeup, not baby). It will also help with the effect you want.

Good luck with it my friend.

(I have a book called Lighting for Glamour Photography by a guy called David Kimber. I found it has some good info. Maybe there are cuts on the net somewhere?)

If you are doing high key you could try using a soft filter - something like a Softar is good. Don't use the 'black stocking' technique as it works against what you are attempting. A soft filter on the lens bleeds the highlights into the shadows, lowering the contrast. It also helps to cover a multitude of sins.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back