Numbering Photo's automatic with software

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by Xinix, Feb 9, 2017.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Bridge or LR both have batch file renaming options that are fast, flexible and easy to use. You can also easily add keywords.

2. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have a lot of pictures of things like you mention and I never take them in order. Meaning that I would not take 12 car shots and then 15 house shots, they would be mixed together. While the barcode idea sounds great, I usually just take a picture of my hand so I know I am changing subjects (in you case you could hold up however many fingers to indicate what the next picture is about). If you can do the barcode then I would include that and add the information to the Keywords and at some point you will probably come across a way to use that information to automate things.

What I do in LightRoom is to add a keyword to those images and then those go into a Collection based on that keyword.
    1) Then in the Collection area I make General Collection Set that would then have each of the subject I want inside it, in your case Car, House, People, etc.
    2) I then add into the Copy field of each image the information that you are wanting to use as the identifier as to the subject in the filename, i.e.: 2 for house. This is done for all the images in that Collection as a batch copy-paste.
    2) Then I Export the images and have an Export Preset that tells LR to make the new filename based on Copy-Number Sequence. You now just go to each Collection and do an Export using the Export Preset that will make the new file with the new filename and in the location you want. You could have and Export Preset for each subject (allowing you to specify a specific output folder location ahead of time subject type) or use one Export Preset.
    3) This would give 2-1.jpg for the first house image and 2-15 for your last house image and so on for car, people, etc.
    4) In LR you can drag the images around to change the order, so I may put all the single story houses first and then the two story houses and they will come out in that new order in their sequential numbering.

While this may take more time than just using a batch filename editor, it sure makes it easy to find any image at a later date. The Import and Export Presets and the Copy-Paste of keywords and metadata make the process relatively fast.

What I tried doing at one time was I set up different folders on the memory card in the camera and would select that folder based on what I was taking a picture of, but that became too difficult and sometimes I would forget to change the folder and that would slow my post processing down more than just doing the sort at one time in post. If you are good about selecting the folder then you can Import into LR with an Import Preset for each folder that would add information needed to automatically rename the file on Export based on subject.

Another option I tried was to use a different File Name for each of the four Shooting Menus on the camera, but again I found that I would not change to the right Shooting Menu while in the field so the first three letters of the file name would not alway be correct based on the subject (and limited to four banks).

I would never want a bunch of renumbered images that could have duplicate files names as the original files names. With the Export from LR the new file numbering is on a new copy of the file that would be stored separate from the Archive original images. When you export you can also reduce the size of the file which is often necessary.

Another point is that I also use LR for editing images. If you do not need to edit images then just import without Previews to speed the process, or use Bridge in place of LR.

Other software options I have tried or looked at includes ACD Pro, Capture One, Daminion, On1, and PhotoMechanic. What I like about LR is the amount of information available on how to use the program and that it is basically the same to use today as it was over seven years ago, while still being updated on a regular basis.

The information added is also very helpful if the images are going into an enterprise wide file management system (such as Extensis).

3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me get this straight.

You want something like a UPC or QR bar code-type thing on hand, one for each type of photo you're going to take. Say, one for gardens, one for landscapes, one for cars, one for a house.........

Do you really want to carry ALL those coded cards around?

4. gary-orlando

gary-orlando TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So did you ever get an answer to your question? I understand exactly what you are trying to do. Its like an inventory method. To bad the "experts" here are not listening to what you are trying to do, but only thinking inside their own box and how you dont want to do it that way. Or ... who wants to carry around a bunch of cards lol.
    What you want is a program that starts at the 1st photo saved and reads the barcode if there is one and (renames) numbers the next photos in sequence according to the number read off the barcode. When it sees another barcode it ends that sequence and uses the new number and does it again. You are not taking photos at random but in sequence on purpose. I think a company called wavebid does something similar to what you are asking. But they charge a fee.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Wavebid product looks interesting, but it looks like it is part of the larger Auctioneer software the company offers and requires uploading the photos to their site.

A couple other options include:
    Barcode Edition – foolography
    This looks like a very good option if you are using a Nikon camera and you just pay for the hardware/software package.

GET SNAPIZZI
    This is similar to the Wavebid where you upload to their site and they process and send to your site, based on a monthly fee.

If your volumen can justify one of those options it looks like the way to go. I also read about a photographer that did birthdays and such and she used a Raspberry Pi in the path of processing the photos, you would have to add a barcode reader.

6. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Did you check out the wave bid process? You have to have a bar code which you have to make your self then you have to take a photo of the bar code before the group of photos. When you change you have to take a photo of a different bar code that you made before you take the next series of photos, and repeat. Prior to this you have to create and print the bar codes. In the process you must make a reference for each bar code you want, ie, cars, horses, etc. What happens if you see something you don't have a referenced bar code for?

A whole lot of work at the front end to save a few minutes at the back end.

OP there is no autonomous software out there that can do what you want. There is no autonomous hardware at this point either. You can do a whole lot of work to direct some program to do the separation/renaming or you can download the entire content of the shoot, then select the photos of each subject and do a batch edit. The second option is a whole lot easier and less time consuming.

7. Xinix

Xinix TPF Noob!

Yes, Yes, Yes that's iT ........
    Almost as i imagined, i hate the charge issue. Ian"t there someting else?

Thanx for the ear

8. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The rest of us use LightRoom.

you're just not listening, nor comprehending.
    Plus you want something for free that you don't have to program yourself.

9. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you think there's a demand for such a (free) product, develop it yourself.

10. Xinix

Xinix TPF Noob!

What does that have to do with my reaction to someone that exactly knows what i mean?
    That was just what i was looking for.
    That also was my question in the first place.
    And YES i want it for free.
    But if i could i would definitely program it myself.
    Well maybe there is someone who can help me?

Well.......

11. Xinix

Xinix TPF Noob!

I think your right ;-)

12. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Yes, I understood. I used to do the numbering *exactly* (except the scan card) the way you wanted it to. But found it very tedious. When I went to LightRoom the method was superior and much faster; although no free but I was buying it for it's other post processing feature. The library system was just an added bonus.

But you have to start somewhere to learn your process as it'll be an evolution over time.