Nurnberg Stonecutters

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

I had to go down to Nurnberg in Bavaria to visit a Stonecutter Plant. Most pics turned out crap, and I won't get a chance to get back, but here's three I like.

All shots made with the Leica M8 and a 28mm Elmarit f/2.8 ASPH, shot at 1/45th, f/5.6 at ISO 320.

First one - looking down the huge warehouse with sun spilling in from the top. Those are not hay-bails, pieces of carton, or piles of wood - those big boxy things are uncut blocks of granit:

Nurnberg%20and%20Stone%20Cutters%20066.jpg

Second one - a big stone saw, at rest:

Nurnberg%20and%20Stone%20Cutters%20073.jpg

Third one - the big stone saw, in full action. Noisy! You do NOT want to walk into that thing! See if you can spot the laser guidance system...

Nurnberg%20and%20Stone%20Cutters%20070.jpg

I like #1, the sunrays are particularily catching :wink:

Whoa, interesting/cool to see how they cut the granite. The heat that's generated to cut through such blocks of stone (and the noise) must be phenomenal. I too really like that first shot, with the rays of sunshine visible.

The Leica M8 ------------------------- WOW!

Gulp!

I must first process this knowledge about you... :pale:

And now I can show you where I spotted the laser guidance thing on that stone saw:

Iron_Nurnberg20and20Stone20Cutters2.jpg

Am I right?

And like the others I also like the first best of all, those rays really add something "poetic" to the normality of a large, loud, dusy work place.

LOL, yeah, that would be the laser.

Re. M8: Yup, I'm one of those people...

But about the first shot - does it ruin for you if I tell you it's the fork-lift driver's ass sticking out from behind it while he's bending over to fix something?

It does for me...

Unfortunately I did not have a lot of time to take pictures, or to wait for the perfect shot. I was pretty angry at the guy I had to deal with down there, the whole trip ended up being a pretty big waste of time... but I kept having to stop yelling at him to get my shots. He was very confused by the big important client in a suit who had a briefcase in one hand, and a camera in the other (strap around the wrist.)

"Wait, wait, I want to get this shot... now explain to me WHY you can't deliver by the end of August??"

Very surreal moment for me, no question....

Most reactions

Back