NYC in spring?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m heading to NYC next weekend. Going to see a show with friends on the 25th but probably going to arrive a few days early and/or stay a few days after to do some shooting.

I’ve never had any substantial free time to shoot while in NY so I’ve got a few touristy and cliche shots on my list but also open to other ideas, especially anything that incorporates spring flowers. I saw in a photo today that Roosevelt Island has some spring trees in bloom already.

Also on my list DUMBO, the Vanderbilt, Central Park bridges, some city night shots, skyline from NJ, that classic night shot with the pylons…

Advice and suggestions welcome. If anyone will be around the city and wants to meet up for an hour or two to shoot send me a PM.

I’m heading to NYC next weekend. Going to see a show with friends on the 25th but probably going to arrive a few days early and/or stay a few days after to do some shooting.

I’ve never had any substantial free time to shoot while in NY so I’ve got a few touristy and cliche shots on my list but also open to other ideas, especially anything that incorporates spring flowers. I saw in a photo today that Roosevelt Island has some spring trees in bloom already.

Also on my list DUMBO, the Vanderbilt, Central Park bridges, some city night shots, skyline from NJ, that classic night shot with the pylons…

Advice and suggestions welcome. If anyone will be around the city and wants to meet up for an hour or two to shoot send me a PM.

I would hop a train and come down to meet you but I'll be out of town :(

Don't know about flowers, but I would suggest you walk the High Line. South end starts in the West Village, I think on Gansevoort St. Not sure where the north end is.

The High Line's a good suggestion - Gansevoort to 34th Street, if my memory serves me. The Village is a given, as well. But, if you head north all the way up to Inwood, then up to Riverdale, Fort Tryon Park, Inwood Hill Park, Van Cortland Park - some nice photo-ops in all three places.

As for Brooklyn, DUMBO's a good place to take photos. Ditto Park Slope, Prospect Park, the Prospect Park South neighbourhood for street photography.... So many great places back home.

Just be careful on the trains and streets...

Unfortunately all the shots I know of or want require a boat.
One of these days I'd like to get a skyline shot on a clear night from the upper bay. The view from approximately between the KV bouy to around the middle of the upper bay would make a nice panorama from Liberty Island to Brooklyn Heights. Of course every time I'm down there I'm on a tugboat so I can't get the optimal position I'd like and a tripod is out of the question.
A long exposure from St. George (North East side of Staten Island) might work with the right lens, or maybe even from the Staten Island Ferry.
I doubt you'd be interested in North Brother island, Rossville or the Glenwood Power Station.

Go to Brooklyn get a shot of the bridge, cobble stone streets and train tracks. If the sun is at the right angle at a certain time it reflects off the tracks--stunning.
I've seen lots of attempts to get this shot but mostly with some element missing--my own included I'm sad to say. You can do it, we've seen your work!

Go to Brooklyn get a shot of the bridge, cobble stone streets and train tracks. If the sun is at the right angle at a certain time it reflects off the tracks--stunning.
I've seen lots of attempts to get this shot but mostly with some element missing--my own included I'm sad to say. You can do it, we've seen your work!
I don’t think I’m familiar with that shot. Any examples?

Unfortunately all the shots I know of or want require a boat.
One of these days I'd like to get a skyline shot on a clear night from the upper bay. The view from approximately between the KV bouy to around the middle of the upper bay would make a nice panorama from Liberty Island to Brooklyn Heights. Of course every time I'm down there I'm on a tugboat so I can't get the optimal position I'd like and a tripod is out of the question.
A long exposure from St. George (North East side of Staten Island) might work with the right lens, or maybe even from the Staten Island Ferry.
I doubt you'd be interested in North Brother island, Rossville or the Glenwood Power Station.
I may take the ferry. I have a friend on Staten Island.

The High Line's a good suggestion - Gansevoort to 34th Street, if my memory serves me. The Village is a given, as well. But, if you head north all the way up to Inwood, then up to Riverdale, Fort Tryon Park, Inwood Hill Park, Van Cortland Park - some nice photo-ops in all three places.

As for Brooklyn, DUMBO's a good place to take photos. Ditto Park Slope, Prospect Park, the Prospect Park South neighbourhood for street photography.... So many great places back home.

Just be careful on the trains and streets...

Thanks for the suggestions. I grew up in a city and spend a lot of time in Boston so I’m careful and not too worried.

I would hop a train and come down to meet you but I'll be out of town :(

Don't know about flowers, but I would suggest you walk the High Line. South end starts in the West Village, I think on Gansevoort St. Not sure where the north end is.

Next time! We still need to plan a NYC TPF meet up!

check out yourbrooklynguide.com
No boat needed for some great photos by a talented lady.

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has a Japanese Garden. In Prospect Park next ti the Brooklyn zoo. The gardens are next to the Brooklyn Museum which is veri nice. Park at the museum because it's convenient to all these locations.

Last edited:
check out yourbrooklynguide.com
No boat needed for some great photos by a talented lady.
Thanks I’ll check that out.
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens has a Japanese Garden. In Prospect Park next ti the Brooklyn zoo. The gardens are next to the Brooklyn Museum which is veri nice. Park at the museum because it's convenient to all these locations.
Thanks. I think I’m taking the train and then will Uber and train or walk my way around so no worries about parking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back