O Ebaytree, O Ebaytree...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Big Mike, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you ever scan EBay...looking at things that you want...but that you know you can't afford or shouldn't buy? I know you do. Or maybe you check out some camera gear that you would like...but because everybody wants it too...the price is never very good by the end.

So what do you do...when you see what you want...but it's expensive...but still a very good price for what it is...and when you watch the auction...nobody is bidding on it? Surely, you think, the bids will pick up at the last minute...you have seen it so many times before. Somebody will see the item and the price...and swoop it...but they don't!

So I bought something on EBay the other day :D

I got a Canon 20D (I have one, but I need a back up)...and it comes with the EF-S 17-85 IS lens, 1 GB card, battery & bag etc. I think I got a great deal at $999 US. Usually, the 20D is still going for only slightly less than that, without a lens or any accessories. Plus, the seller lives in a border town (Canada-US) so he sent it from the Canadian side...so I don't have to pay extra charges to get it across the border.

2. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool... congrats on the 2nd cam!!

Yeah I totally know you mean by "you see a good price but by the time it sells it isn't anymore." When I was scoping out the 50 mm lens I saw a handful on Ebay for something disgustingly low like $40 USD (they retail just a bit over $100 USD). I put in a bid and eagerly awaited the end to see it sell for around $95. The next day I bought it from adorama.com at full retail price after cursing Ebay and all Ebay users. :er:

I'm starting to drool over the SB800 so I'll have to start to stalk Ebay again. Maybe after the holidays I'll have better luck.

3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've bought a lot of things on ebay. Sounds like you got a winner, Mike.

4. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

Congrats Mike! I have found that if you are just kind of looking, you can find deals by just searching for "Nikon" instead of going to the camera section. Often it seems that people that don't sell much will just list it in cameras, instead of going through the menu's to get it in a specific place. I am sure that happens in a lot of catagories. Anyhow good deal for you.

5. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    An interesting option for older gear is to 1.) get a general idea of what it goes for on ebay and then 2.) contact one of several on-line photo stores noting what you're looking for and what you would like to pay for it.

If your 'offer' is not unrealistic, there may be a pleasant surprise ahead.

I was looking for a set of screw mount extension tubes. My check is now in the mail.

6. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Yes. Sometimes I even find time for other things too, like going to work or eating. :lol:

Losing a bid because your internet connection grinds to a halt within the last few seconds of the auction is possibly the most frustrating experience ever.

I'm currently involved in one of those 'bay-watching exercises where I watch someone endlessly re-list the same item with the same erm, 'ambitious' reserve price or starting bid, and wonder when they're going to come to their senses.