A departure from the norm?

I like the composition.

Infared? Whatever it is I like it

No sir, I don't not like it!

:biglaugh:

A departure from the norm?

I like the composition.

Norm...?!?

Yep. We got about 6-10 inches of snow in the mountains near here a couple days ago. I went up to see if I coudn't not take some snow shots that didn't not suck.

I thought this had a bit of a weird IR look.

I think I may have not didn't not maybe succeed. Heckuva nice day though.

BTW, say snow shots ten times real fast, it sounds like you're saying "show snots." Heheh- :biglaugh:

The sky gives it away as digital. Sorry but that makes it a no-go for me.

It's too busy for my liking. And by that I mean like, there is so much contrasting black to white, and it's so harsh. I'm not picking apart your artistic views or the artistic appeals of the shot, or you as a photographer, so please just take it as me simply not liking the shot. It's a personal thing, as it is with most photography people as skilled as you take. It's to the point where I have a hard time looking at anything you do Abraxas, and taking apart the technical aspects. With your work, I know try and simply go with a "I like it" or an "I don't like it" approach. You know?

P.S. This post is completely scattered. My english sucks.

The sky gives it away as digital. Sorry but that makes it a no-go for me.

Thanks Max- I did think it had an IR look to it, but I've never been that much into IR to really know what it looks like. The color version is just plain freakish. I don't mean to try to counterfeit a film look either. I liked what I've done with film before I got into digital. But the same old things kept getting in the way, time and money. Film has a look that just is different than the digital- I love the analog quality. I got to stick with what I can get the most production with though, and that's digital. ... The comments below may apply.

It's too busy for my liking. And by that I mean like, there is so much contrasting black to white, and it's so harsh. I'm not picking apart your artistic views or the artistic appeals of the shot, or you as a photographer, so please just take it as me simply not liking the shot. It's a personal thing, as it is with most photography people as skilled as you take. It's to the point where I have a hard time looking at anything you do Abraxas, and taking apart the technical aspects. With your work, I know try and simply go with a "I like it" or an "I don't like it" approach. You know?

P.S. This post is completely scattered. My english sucks.

Cool, then my response can be scattered. ... :)

About a year ago I became frustrated with the criticism I recieved. Some of it was technically justified, but some was a difference in taste. What I've tried to do was develop my work to my liking and use the technical crits to improve myself. I guess this is what is supposed to be done anyhow. The harder I work and the closer I come to what I want, the more plentiful the 'attaboys' have been and the easier it has become to define my 'vision' to myself. I used to think 'vision' was squirrely. I don't anymore though and am still surprised on how important it is to me in doing what I believe to be my best. I do realize that some people, probably most don't like my style, subject matter or, good grief- my personality. The more secure I've become in my 'vision', the less I take subjective critique/opinion to heart. It's totally cool to not like, or even to hate my work.

Occasionally I surprised at shots that aren't, in my opinion, my best, and how well they go over. Sometimes they are just as I suspected, they suck. I think this shot falls somewhere in between these two categories. Let me explain.

I like it a bit- I wouldn't have shot it if I didn't see something I liked about it. In this case it was the opportunity to try something I probably should have passed by if I weren't influenced by a couple remarks in another thread.

(paraphrase)

Q. Can IR be done in photoshop?

A. Yes.

My remark; You're not ready for it (terse remark).

Response; Back off snob.

Thought 1 - I'm a snob(?) Who gives a .... anyhow?

Thought 2 - Can IR be done in PS?
Thought 2 A. Mehbe, mehbe not. Who gives a .... anyhow?

Ok. So I go up into the mountains to get some snow shots and see this;
800-ip-oak-trees-color-r6453.jpg

No real subject- but interesting black oak trees covered in frost. Could possibly use for a documentation shot on my website. Nice line from trail gives it a bit of flow compositionally. Hm, maybe I could try making it look like an IR? I know from my Death Valley junk that clear blue skies and mid-day contrast looks like garbage to me. At best, it would have to be black and white. Might as well try.

I shot 5 exposures in jpeg+raw. The hdr looked horrific. Used the RAW and had some fun with it. I thought it was -pretty ok- the wife liked it. I posted it. I'm happy some liked it and don't mind that it doesn't work for some.

I'm glad I got it out of my system. I know enough now to stay in the Jeep and stay warm and listen to some of that rocking-and-rolling music I like until the light turns the way I want it. And I got a nice shot for my Black Oak documentation page.

There. I feel better now...

I got another project today where I get to write a proposal regarding photography for a desert river watershed ecosystem- drool. At least it -MAY- keep me from making blunt and terse remarks for a few days. Maybe not. :)

Thanks again everyone.

well I really like the colour version, to me it looks very much like a false colour IR photo and it conveys to me a much stronger sense of being there.

i also like the color much better and the different shades of white

Make that three for the color version, I like it better too.

the color version is soooooo much better. :]

Color version is prettier.

The B&W (or fake IR or whatever) has much more mood, feel and soul.

I see the color version and think "gee, that's pretty".

When I see the first post, suddenly I feel I should be contemplating the meaning of life.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your comments. I suppose they both have their good points. Sure was a nice day up there. That's what I like best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back