Observations at -27C/-16.6F

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by GerryDavid, Jan 7, 2004.

1. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    YOUR FINGERS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEZE when its that cold when trying to take pictures. :0) I was going to the post office and noticed a great sunset so I quickly made a turn and went to a near by park and got some pictures. I missed the best part of the sunset *knew he shoulda left the house earlier* but I got some pics with my new slr film camera and exposed them for 30 seconds, so in a week I may find out what they look like, hehe. Wish my digital did long exposures like that. :0).

2. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thats what ya get fer livin' in a cooooold country ;) I am surprised your shutter didn't freeze at that temp!

I just missed a gorgeous sunset yesterday when I forgot to recharge my battery. d'oh! I am sure the shots will be fab, so post them as soon as get em!

3. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I need to make myself a headed bubble to walk around in outside in the winter. :0).

I dont think I was outside long enough for a shutter to freeze, I think I was just out for 10 minutes. Although sometimes when I click the button to take a picture, hte camera doesnt always take a picture. Not just outside but inside. maybe its a built in safety thing to make sure what ever it is in the picture is in focus. or some setting that isnt set should be set first.

4. Jewel

Jewel TPF Noob!

Observation at 38+C with high humidity - breathing and walking consume all your energy...... it's too hot to take photos right at the moment!

I've got 4 rolls to be developed here from over the past month or so, including my first B&W roll. I've done some (for me) highly experimental things. One day I'll get them printed. Really.

Cheers all
    Jewel

5. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tobad we coudlnt exchange some weather and have the 2 average out to 5.5C. It would still be a bit on the cold side but at least wed both be able to take pictures, hehe. Then again Id imagine there would be a ton of fog generated and prob woudlnt be good for the global enviroment. :0).

6. pucci

pucci TPF Noob!

it was snowing here a couple nights ago and im pretty sure i got some very cool b/w pics but i had to keep going inside to wait for my camera to de-fog !! haha. i hope the one of the snow plow zooming by turned out.

7. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I got the pictures back, and most of them are junkers. :0) With my digital, I dont have any problem with white ballance in manual, so thats prob why I didnt think about it with the manual,the pictures came out yellow over all, at least I think the yellow is from white ballance. I could perhaps modify them in ps.

And the Sunset ones, thier not all that good, Ill post them here when I get them scanned.

8. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ahh, the -26.6F would be nice right now. It now feels like -39F or something like that outside. Would be cool to do some experiments and take pictures with it. I bet if I had a water gun the water would freeze before it hit the ground. :0).

9. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought I would post 5 of the pictures. :0).

double exposure
    [​IMG]

extended exposure to get the sparkling snow, picked up the yellowness of the street light, even though the human eye doesnt see it as yellow.
    [​IMG]

extended exposure, not sure what the stuff on either side is.
    [​IMG]

I meant to take a double exposure but the camera wasnt set for it this time, so this is what I got. :0). Not sure if it was extended or not.
    [​IMG]

10. Darfion

Darfion Soapbox guru...

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like we're in for some of the cold stuff. According to the latest forecasts, we are due (no.not that Dew) some of the white stuff this week with temps' plummeting to -14. And i know for sure my car battery will fail me yet again

11. GerryDavid

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hehe, speaking of that, my car woudlnt start this morning. First time this has happend for me cuz of the cold weather. So much for going to Church this morning. :0) But I did get to clean my room and even vaccum it. :0).

12. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I was out shooting in -30F cold, I found that either keeping the camera out while I moved around a small area seemed to keep the lens from fogging up. Instead of placing the camera in a bag or pack for short periods of time. The biggest problem I had was keeping from breathing on the camera. I would forget to send my breath away from the camera, and the viewfinder would fog up.

As for my hands and such, I am use to it. They say after -40F you cant feel any difference in the weather so I figured I was close enough. :lol: