Ocean fog

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Harpper, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

This picture didn't make the cut the first time I looked at it, but there was something about it that made me give it a second look. I like the mood from this picture but I don't like the composition all too much. What's your opinion on it?

[​IMG]

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a tighter crop - lose some of that empty space up top. The lighting is exquisite here. I think it's a lovely, serene image.

3. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I'm with terri on this one.

Try cropping it really tight on top and make a pano out of it. Scroll the pic up on the screen until you can only see the bottom 1/3 or so. Keep in just enough of the clouds to still have that moodiness to it.

4. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Harrper,
    I really love the serene quality of the pic, the lighting and mood is very peaceful. however my eye keeps going the the animal(?) on horizon, not that thats a bad thing. I actually like it there, it gives the picture a nice perspective. Just wish it had its head raised or something.

speaking of oceans, are you on the west coast? Where do you take these shots, it looks like an amazing place!

5. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comments everyone. My gut instinct did tell me to crop it more but I wanted to let everyone see the unedited version before I did anything. My gut instinct isn't always right. :wink:

Yes, it is an animal. I believe it was a deer but it was too dark for me to say for sure. I also was hoping that it would raise its head too. That's one of the reasons why I didn't like this picture at first. I didn't want to make note of it because I wanted to hear people's reaction.

The animal was too busy eating and the lighting was getting worse and worse so this was pretty much the only shot I got. Next time I'll try jumping up and down and yelling real loud to get its attention. :wink:

You're pretty good at guessing. The pictures were taken along the many miles of California's coastline.

6. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I too would like to see the cropped version. However, I do like it the way it is. The shot just seems to scream loneliness. I guess I am a sucker for a photo that makes me feel something, not just see something. :)