Oceanside, Ca sunset-CC please

bomhit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Tear me apart please. I took these with a 50D and a Tamron 18-270. Post production is kind of rookie.

IMG_8771_2215.jpg

IMG_8766_2210.jpg

IMG_8781_2225.jpg

IMG_8809_2253.jpg

Jeez I want to take some shots at sunrise of the beach, but I don't want to drive to the beach. nice shots

I think #4 would be great if you spent some more time in PP. Also, maybe chop out the palm tree.

The composition in the others is poor. #1 has the horizon cutting the pic in half and the subject is almost dead center. There's not much detail in the subject either, which makes it less interesting. The pier is interesting and I think you could work with that.

The rocks in #2 bother me... they create too much deadspace at the bottom of the frame. and seem to separate the left from the right, allowing my eyes to kind of fall of the sides of the pic.

The sky is blown in #3. Expose for the sky, recompose your horizon, and lower your POV, and I think this one would be good.

I've been to that Ruby's. :D

I'd suggest working on your composition. Just about every shot has the main focal point and/or the horizon, centred in the frame. That tends to make for a boring composition. Read up about the 'Rule of Thirds' as a way to get you started on thinking about composition.

Thank you very much. I am very aware of rule of thirds. I just sometimes tend to just instinctively shoot and not think about it. Thanks everyone for the input.

i love the color of the sky and the clouds in #4, and #1 is very nice too, you made the waves rolling in look really soft, which suits the mood of the picture well.

I think that out of all of those #4 is the best and has the best potential.

#1: Lots of potential; perhaps a few small tweaks will have helped. Composition: The horizon is bang in the center. Not necessary to follow rule of thirds, but in this frame the sky held more promise than the water in the foreground. Could have positioned the horizon lower. Also, PP looks artificial - there is no color balance between the sky and the sea. There is also a halo around the areas where the sky meets land/water. PP could be better.
#2: I think you have tried to put in a foreground to add depth to the image. In this picture, unfortunately, it appears to block the beautiful background. Will have been better off with a different angle of composition
#3:The whites are way too overexposed. It gives a sense of drama but looks a little overdone
#4:Most well balanced of the lot; the person pondering into the ocean adds an added drama. Well composed. You have captured this in low light - adds a surreal quality; almost like a painting. Well done. Suggest you try another copy with increased contrast and color saturation - it may give a different appeal altogether

Most reactions

New Topics

Back