October '08 Photo Challenge - "Portraits"

Honey, your photo just got dqed by your above statement. You can't tell which photo is yours.

I sent the real one in. The first one I sent in "Oh Be Joyful" was 2.4mg. The one I just sent, which is the same photo, is 54k.

They're both the same photo, and they're both by me.

I really liked that picture. I was hoping to do good with it. Can I send it in once more?

Can someone please tell me how I get a 17.2M sized picture to a less than 150kb picture so I can enter this month's competition??? I played around with the sizing in Photoshop and ended up with a picture that could fit on the head of a pin...obviously not the way it's done I gather.

Any help would be swell.

Hello, Im not sure if this will work, but in photoshop if you just make the image smaller to 800x600 or similar size and then save it as a jpeg with a qualtiy setting of 12 (maximum). Hopefully that should work, if not, try a different quality setting.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the help. I am going to try your suggestion tonight. Hopefully that will do the trick.

At 800 wide, your image will need to be saved at a lot higher compression than 12 (lower number), if there is much detail in the image.

Ah right, is this in photoshop?

hmm 12 would be the best quality for me :S

1-4 Low,
5-7 Medium,
8-9 High,
10-12 Maximum.

Anyways, just have a fiddle Chunkybaby, im sure you can work it out :)

Yep, to get a 800 size image down to <150k, I often have to throtle it down to 8 or so on the quality scale in PS.

Hello, Im not sure if this will work, but in photoshop if you just make the image smaller to 800x600 or similar size and then save it as a jpeg with a qualtiy setting of 12 (maximum). Hopefully that should work, if not, try a different quality setting.

Good Luck!

800x600 is good, but if you're using PS, just use the "Save for Web" option. It'll change it to 72dpi and you'll be able to keep the quality fairly high. If you reduce the quality too much you'll see artifacting.

I sent the real one in. The first one I sent in "Oh Be Joyful" was 2.4mg. The one I just sent, which is the same photo, is 54k.

They're both the same photo, and they're both by me.

I really liked that picture. I was hoping to do good with it. Can I send it in once more?

Honey, your photo just got dqed by your above statement. You can't tell which photo is yours.

README!

NOTICE: Whoever is receiving all these emails, please delete "Oh Be Joyful" sent by [email protected]. I submitted that picture by accident. It is much too large for the competition. "Oh Be Joyful" and "When The Toothfairy Comes" are both the same photo and they are both by me. Thank you!

I'm anxious to see the other pictures. I sent mine in as "When The Toothfairy Comes".

Good luck to all of you!

Meg's point was that you indicated which photo you had submitted by including the title, actually both titles.

Since the second title is too obvious your photo will be removed. If you have another photo you wish to submit, you may...just don't announce it here.

how come there arnt any prizes for contest anymore???

Portraiture is indeed hard. And rom4n301, I'd say there aren't prizes because maintaining the site itse;f takes enough time and effort, and there is no real tradeoff when giving out prizes, so the expenditure wouldn't be justified, if that makes sense.

Meg's point was that you indicated which photo you had submitted by including the title, actually both titles.

Since the second title is too obvious your photo will be removed. If you have another photo you wish to submit, you may...just don't announce it here.

Yeah I guess I should have explained that better. My bad. :blushing:

Most reactions

Back