No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
too much trolling around by Robbins Trump Photo

Last edited:
I guess I'd have to be on social media to give up social media. . . . .unless you're counting forums.

Wow... just a bit judgy, don't you think? If I use social media I'm automatically an addict?

Yes, I do post photos to facebook in a facebook group. No, I don't spend every waking minute on it or any other social media. I don't have a twitter account, rarely if ever use flickr anymore and even when I did I used it mostly to share photos here, not to converse/interact with other people on Flickr.

So I've got a better challenge for you. Put your money where your mouth is, and try to get this crusade off the ground without using social media (such as this message forum) to advertise it. Otherwise it pretty much just drips with hypocrisy, don't you think?

Don't be surprised if you see this October 1st.
TPF Closed.jpg

I never said that everyone using social media are addicts.

Your words:

So I suppose you don't have the courage to leave it aside for a month?
You're an addict, aren't you?

So yes, you did say that anyone that didn't join your challenge was an addict. Which, of course, is crap.

That's just the point of reaching a wider range of people.

So it's not ok for us to use social media to reach each other because it makes us a bunch of addicts, but perfectly acceptable for you to use social media in an attempt to decry social media, because if you didn't you couldn't reach anyone.

Umm... right.

I wasn't planning to go texting my friends about it, or use the regular postal service.

Hypocrisy meter at redline. Danger Will Robinson, Danger...

It should've been sent by these Social Media channels. So people could share it.
But you know what happens on these Social Media, people mostly just swipe further, liking everything without even reading.

But.. um.. for people to share it they'd have to be using social media, which based on your premise is exactly what you don't want... so again...

Logic fail

Don't take it too personal or sarcastic, robbins.photo.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/members/robbins-photo.156714/

Well when people who don't know me from Adam start accusing me of being an addict, how should I take that?

It's just a challenge. Participate or not, that's up to you.
I just wanted to inform people, and specifically via the channels social media users are using.
I'm not going to a soccer club to ask people to take a break with basketball...

Then maybe stop calling people addicts, and stop with the list of excuses you think they'll give, and in general stop with the attempts at shaming - particularly since the only vehicle you have for doing this is social media to begin with. Massive amounts of hypocrisy there.

It's not a discussion. It's just a simple question of 'can you live without twitter/FB/Insta... just for a month'?
I already understood that you're not going to join.

Of course they can. Most of my generation lived without social media and indeed even the internet for decades. The first personal computer I ever had ran off a basic operating system, had 16k of internal memory and all programs had to be loaded from a tape drive. It was considered state of the art at the time.

So no, don't really need you or anyone to preach to me about proper internet/social media usage, thanks. I've got it covered. Maybe you should spend all the time your wasting on this on something else. Again, put your money where your mouth is. Go volunteer at a homeless shelter, or habitat for humanity, etc.

And before you ask, yes, I do both on a fairly regular basis.

Someone picked the wrong month for the "social media challenge".
October is Breast Cancer awareness month.
a lot of people and organizations use social media before and during October to promote various
projects for awareness, charity work, and donations.

picking October to ask people to drop off the social media network is even more unrealistic a request than it would be during a normal month.

FAIR ENOUGH, YOU'RE NOT AN ADDICT.

Gosh thanks. Because my life simply wasn't complete until you validated it.

Now, you should stop taking things personally... it was a message to everyone.

Oh, so your defense for the original post then could be summed up as, "I wasn't insulting you personally, I was actually trying to be insulting to everyone?"

Umm... hmmm...

And if you're not an addict, what's the problem then? Why don't you participate, it will be easy for you.
Prove it.

I have nothing to prove to you. At all. I got a better idea, since this social media ban was your idea, why don't you prove it. By not using social media.. such as say, this message forum. Lets face it, so far you've shown your pretty good at preaching to others but not so good at following your own advice. So by all means, show us all that your not just being a hypocrite and stop using social media yourself.

Well when people who don't know me from Adam start accusing me of being an addict, how should I take that?
You're almost at 10 posts a day on this forum as average... only on this forum. Wondering what it is on other media.
I didn't invent this statistic.

Of course they can. Most of my generation lived without social media and indeed even the internet for decades.
I grew up in that era too... I still know the time without computers, don't have to explain the history to me.
I know we lived without, ... but in that era, we weren't used getting up with smartphones and apps and feeds and social media stuff... If you're inside this situation and want to get back outside, it is a lot more difficult than following the timeline everyone did.
So no, don't really need you or anyone to preach to me about proper internet/social media usage, thanks.
It's not about proper social media usage.
It's just about the question: can you disconnect for a month or not.

only 10 posts a day?

I spent 15 minutes on another forum earlier and got 6 posts...
hardly a monumental number.

You're almost at 10 posts a day on this forum as average... only on this forum. Wondering what it is on other media.
I didn't invent this statistic.

And your point being? See, the only person I'd ever allow to lecture me about such a thing passed away years ago. Since your not my dad, it is, well frankly none of your damn business. Thought we'd established that already. I don't need you to tell me how to live my life. Go have kids of your own, and parent them. I did, and they turned out fine.

I grew up in that era too... I still know the time without computers, don't have to explain the history to me.

Apparently I do, because obviously you seem to think it's impossible for folks to live without the internet or social media. If you didn't believe that your challenge wouldn't have any merit, now would it?

It's not about proper social media usage.
It's just about the question: can you disconnect for a month or not.

Of course I could. Easily. Do I need to? Nope. Can you? Obviously not. You keep responding here. So.. hypocrisy abounds. A point you keep trying to obfuscate.

Now, feel free to unplug before you exceed whatever post limit it is you think is appropriate for social media use. Or, to be a bit more biblical about it, take the plank out of your own eye before you start whining about the sliver in mine.

Than what are you still doing here in this topic?

Using my social media, which I enjoy. See, there's no hypocrisy on my part, because I'm not the one pretending I have any right to lecture anyone else about there social media use, while abusing social media myself. Would a chart help?

I'm about to prove it, but as you probably didn't read the timing: 1st october > 31st october... It starts in couple of days...
Can't beam me up to the future around 31st october to prove it...

And what a better idea? I'm the one starting it and will participate of course, what a retorical question...

It's rhetorical.. btw. As far as starting anything, I think all you've really started here is a tiresome excuse to make yourself feel superior to others by judging them. I'm merely suggesting you follow your own advice, get off the social media wagon and stop posting now. Why wait? I mean you don't really need to respond, do you? Your not an addict, are you?

I totally would participate in this, but....
to many (insert politically correct reference to women's mammary glands here) to post in October....for breast cancer awareness, of course.

Dikkie...
you DO realize that you have made 10 posts in this thread alone...
with such prolific social media habits, however will you make it through October without posting?

FAIR ENOUGH, YOU'RE NOT AN ADDICT.

Gosh thanks. Because my life simply wasn't complete until you validated it.

Now, you should stop taking things personally... it was a message to everyone.

Oh, so your defense for the original post then could be summed up as, "I wasn't insulting you personally, I was actually trying to be insulting to everyone?"

Umm... hmmm...

And if you're not an addict, what's the problem then? Why don't you participate, it will be easy for you.
Prove it.

I have nothing to prove to you. At all. I got a better idea, since this social media ban was your idea, why don't you prove it. By not using social media.. such as say, this message forum. Lets face it, so far you've shown your pretty good at preaching to others but not so good at following your own advice. So by all means, show us all that your not just being a hypocrite and stop using social media yourself.
Banana Addict.jpg

Most reactions

Back