Octopus

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_9778-Edit.jpg

Definitely interesting to look at.... I would clone out those little white dots in the black area... They are distracting.

Cool shot. I agree on removing the white dots. I would also like to suggest to lighten up the light and lighter midtone parts to give it a bit more "pop". Very nice shot though.

Thanks for the comments. I agree -- I'm going to get rid of those white "floaters".

A good picture! I'm ok with the little white dots :) Which lens did you use for this picture? And did you use an underwater housing for your camera or is it made through a glass panel?

Thanks.

It was with the Canon EOS 7D and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 @ 43mm and circular polarizer
f/6.3@1/200sec
ISO 5000
Handheld with off-camera Canon 430EX flash (also handheld)
Through glass at Boston Aquarium

How do you find the 7D? It's the next camera for me. I was considering the 50D but there seems to be a view amongst reviewers that the cost/improvement over the 40D isn't so good. I've kind of persuaded myself to leapfrog the 40D/50D step and save for a 7D instead.

BTW because i'm new, I can't PM you. but do you use your Soligor 135 much? and what's it like? I have
a Soligor 5.6/350 which is quite OK. Long but fairly light with reasonable contrast and easy to focus. Were Soligor Jap or German ..or a bit of both? I forget :)

I love my 7D. I needed a camera that did well at high ISO as I can't afford long-fast glass, so it was the logical step from my 30D. Since I had the CP on this lens to cut ambient room glare on the glass tank, it also slowed my lens down 2 stops. Even with flash, I needed to use ISO 5000 to use a small enough aperture to maintain some DOF. This never would have played with my 30D.

I don't use the soligor much anymore as I rarely shoot film. Back in the 70s I used it a lot and it did a pretty good job.

Last edited:
We're looking at a mono, but at ISO5000 the 7D looks to be doing a very good job. certainly at this resolution, I'm not seeing any graininess from Cb/Cr noise (or its suppression).

This picture is extremely beautiful. It really very difficult to capture such type of pictures. The really looks like the precious buttons. The arms of octopus are naturally adjust in very articular way. It really very impressive. I feel to fill the beautiful colors in it.

Most reactions

Back