Odd Flash Problem

tyusha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! i have an odd flash problem that i can't figure out. I recently purchased a Vivitar DF450mz. I am not sure if i am doing something wrong or the flash unit is faulty.
I am using it in Program Mode with TTL fully on.
I use the slow sinc mode or rear sinc mode for indoors and flash compensation function (+/-) to get the exposure to look the way i want to. But that's where my problems begin. Sometimes after a few shots, sometimes out of the blue the flash goes off at full blast, overexposing the picture. Usually when that happens turning the camera and flash off and on makes things work the way they should again...
What is going on???

You don't mention what camera you're using, but my first guess is that it may be because your flash isn't compatible with your camera's TTL flash metering.

I am using Nikon D50 and the flash is nikon specific with I-TTL. I should have mentioned it in the original post

I have a Vivitar flash that I can't figure out either.

I am still not sure if it's flash or me. I think it's the flash though....

Even though it's made to be compatible with your camera & i-TTL...it's still not uncommon for there to be a few issues.

I don't think that Nikon just gives out their technical details so that other companies can make cheaper flashes for their cameras. It's more likely that Vivitar (or whoever) tried to reverse engineer a Nikon product...and it's not perfect.

Of course, check the simple things...like making sure the flash is seated securely in the hot shoe etc.

well i know it's not as perfect ad a Nikon product, but the fact that it works propery 4 times out of five is very confusing....

well i know it's not as perfect ad a Nikon product, but the fact that it works propery 4 times out of five is very confusing....

return it and see how it goes? due to it being possible caused by user error or manufacturing error its hard to decide..

i am afraid it's kinda too late to return it. I will have to call B&H photo...

just to be safe, invest in a nikon speedlite that is specifically made for you nikon so that your shots will not compromised. I use nikon speedlites and they never give me a problem.

Most reactions

Back