Odd question about copyright

Ub3rdoRK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.walesimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i am in the process of making a business card design and i want to use an image of a nikon camera. I would assume having their logo on the camera illegal so what if i remove all badges? for instance:
web.jpg

and i also forgot to edit the D3S logo...that would be gone too...
gallery

You must dig elsewhere, find the answer from a source that has a basis in law - such us a .gov website or a lawyer.
Though I think you'll find that an image of a product, masked as you describe is protected as if it were a logo or not masked

So i am in the process of making a business card design and i want to use an image of a nikon camera. I would assume having their logo on the camera illegal so what if i remove all badges? for instance:
web.jpg

and i also forgot to edit the D3S logo...that would be gone too...
gallery

Taking a photo of an item with a logo on it is not illegal. Copying a Nikon logo onto a camera that is not a Nikon certainly would be illegal.

As far as use goes, the only possible issue would be whether your card design in any way implies a relationship with the Nikon company other than simply using Nikon cameras.

If you are in doubt, use a permanent black magic marker to cover the Nikon logo, name etc. on your camera etc.

skieur

It is correct that this should be discussed with a lawyer.

It is clear, though, that you have two distinct legal issues to resolve. One is copyright. Copyright involves who took the picture and who owns the rights to reproduce the picture. It has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the picture.

The second legal rights issue is that of trademark and trade dress. This can be just as thorny an issue as copyright.

Well technically if I used my own camera then in the image that would take care of that aspect. My card is just for advertising my website so people that want my services can comtact me obviously. Basically the layout is just my name, website and email address with the image of the camera to make it look fancy.

Most reactions

Back