Odin & Me, and Holga makes three

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a modified Holga with a shutter release cable for long exposures, which had yet to be played with until this image. My husband Brad took this a couple nights ago right at dusk. I'm rocking pretty fast in that chair. I liked it so well I told him I'd put it here for some feedback. It's fun to make these little cameras work. :)

The crop below the original is what he is really after, once he noticed enough facial detail. Kodak Plus-X 100, 10 second exposure at f8.

normal_rocker2.jpg.jpg

And the cropped version:

normal_My%20Girl.jpg

I really like the original. I love the feel of the photo with the vignette and square format. My eye leads up the left corner to the one and only you, and out the fence.

I have to agree. The first one has a much better feel to it.

nice legs ;)
That's a cool picture.. the flowers seem to 'pop' out in the bottom image somehow... tell me, do the results from a holga differ much from capture to capture? Do they ALL have the 'creative' light leaks?

altered ego said:
nice legs ;)
That's a cool picture.. the flowers seem to 'pop' out in the bottom image somehow... tell me, do the results from a holga differ much from capture to capture? Do they ALL have the 'creative' light leaks?

Nope, my Holga is taped up tight as a drum, and this image was scanned from the negative. No light leaks here. What you're seeing is just sky through the trees at the top.

Do the images vary? YES. It's a cheap plastic lens and I think they each have a different "sweet spot" before the inevitable vignetting starts in.

The contrasty flowers is what I like the best about the cropped version. He's going to do it in the darkroom, too (increase contrast). I'm partial to the full image, but I feel like I'm floating in the flowers with this crop. :D

great... but actually I love my cam and I even don't know how holga looks

I love that first one, esp since Odin is in it :)

I'm totally going to have to break down and get one of these. My SX-70 manipulations are not coming along so I think I need a distraction in another direction.

I'm assuming by developing and printing your own stuff you'll get the most out of this little plastic thing? I'm not curbing myself too much by having my stuff developed and then scanning it all myself?

malachite said:
I'm totally going to have to break down and get one of these. My SX-70 manipulations are not coming along so I think I need a distraction in another direction.

I'm assuming by developing and printing your own stuff you'll get the most out of this little plastic thing? I'm not curbing myself too much by having my stuff developed and then scanning it all myself?

Why aren't your SX-70 manips coming along?? Tell Aunt Terri all about it and she will guide you. :D

Pick up a modified Holga from holgamods.com, tape the crap out of it and definitely develop your own stuff. You'll learn faster what your little bugger will give you. I heartily recommend the modified version so you can get it to perform less like a cheap toy and more like a camera. :wink: Yeah, break down and part with that $35!!! :p

terri said:
Why aren't your SX-70 manips coming along?? Tell Aunt Terri all about it and she will guide you. :D
Lack of control mainly. Once I get the emulsion to loosen up, I can't get it to go where I want it to. I'm using all sorts of little sticks and pokers but I'm just smashing emulsion around and scratching the hell out of the front of the picture.

Oh well. I'll get in the mood again and I'll come a'whinnin' to you over in 'Alt' :wink:

malachite said:
terri said:
Lack of control mainly. Once I get the emulsion to loosen up, I can't get it to go where I want it to. I'm using all sorts of little sticks and pokers but I'm just smashing emulsion around and scratching the hell out of the front of the picture.

Oh well. I'll get in the mood again and I'll come a'whinnin' to you over in 'Alt' :wink:

Well, do! I will say this much: sounds like you're bearing down too hard with your manipulation tools. It takes a LOT to scratch the hard coating of Time Zero. And then you probably end up seeing too much of the titanium white, which is from scraping right through the top layers of emulsion, which can permeate the rest of the colors and dull everything. There's definitely a technique and I'll be glad to help as much as you'd like. :D

I think I've hijacked my own thread here..... :scratch:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back