Oentax k5 iis for landscape photography

abhishekdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I am a Leica M2 user and have been recently interested in landscape works. Ofcourse i know that the best thing possible is to obtain a medium format camera but I want a digital one and cannot afford a medium format digital one.
Have been debating to buy the new pentax K5 iis as it lacks the AA filter which would theoritically help me in obtaining sharper image.
But the question is it being a crop sensored body, how big can I print the images.
Also the other reason to lean towards pentax are the exquisite line of limited lenses available which are very much comparable to leica's..

Need your thoughts so that I can make up my mind..
Th eother camera in mind is canon 5D Mark II but its a pretty big one and do not wanna go that way unless forced to..

Hi Friends,

I am a Leica M2 user and have been recently interested in landscape works. Ofcourse i know that the best thing possible is to obtain a medium format camera but I want a digital one and cannot afford a medium format digital one.
Have been debating to buy the new pentax K5 iis as it lacks the AA filter which would theoritically help me in obtaining sharper image.
But the question is it being a crop sensored body, how big can I print the images.
Also the other reason to lean towards pentax are the exquisite line of limited lenses available which are very much comparable to leica's..

Th eother camera in mind is canon 5D Mark II but its a pretty big one and do not wanna go that way unless forced to..

Print as big as you like, question is how much pic quality are you willing to give up

I think you could get sharp enough pictures with a camera that has an AA filter I would be more concerned with dynamic range an full frame is the way to go if you are wanting to shoot landscapes. Any of the full frame cameras would work. If you are dead set on no AA filter I think the Nikon D800E is what you would want. But the Canon 5D and Sony a99 are also excellent choices. It really is just what kind of bells and whistles you want. The D800 actually scores higher DXO marks than some of the medium format cameras.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

Print as big as you like, question is how much pic quality are you willing to give up

..and how far away are you standing. Anyway, you knew this already and that's not the real point of your
question which seems to be a choice of 23x15mm type sensor body, although you could get a used 5D an adapt your Pentax Limiteds for manual use (or also Leica R 1cam/3cam/ROMs maybe?). You can also stitch. You can consider Fujifilms Super CCD cameras and Nikon Ai-Ais wih some trial and error metering.

I think this camera is 16mp which gives it approx 3200 x 4800 pixels in a full shot. According to many pros 300 pixels per inch is the standard to go by. This Will give you a photo of approx 11x16 inches at pro print quality. If you drop the print resolution to 200 pixels per inch, a figure that many agree is more than good enough for wall prints you could print the same photo 16x24 inches.

Canvas presentation is becoming more popular and is more forgiving. I find I can produce quite acceptable images with print resolution as low as 180 ppi with the standard K5. I would say a 20x30 would be the max for a single frame. Stitching, of course, is always an option, depending on the subject matter. As for dynamic range, the sensor in the K5 is a SONY from the same general family as the FF sensor in the D800. The K5 dynamic range is within a fraction of an EV of that of the D800.

Most reactions

Back